the Google 15th of May update

Thomas Andreas

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I dont know about you, but on the 15th of May as the new Google Update was released I took a big hit. I am having really been struggling to get back to previous traffic.
I have tried and tried and tried. Has anybody experience a similar decrease and found a good way to get back up there?

xecutable

Stranger
Reaction score
Reports are coming for the 22nd. In an interview a Google employee said a major update is coming these weeks. When nobody knows.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
TBH, Google Dances (or whatever they're called these days) I haven't concerned myself with them for ages.

Seems, for whatever reason, my SERP'S don't fluctuate that much.

Maybe longevity, site trust, and other factors of that, don't upset the Google Gatekeeper :D

danniee

Reaction score
I dont really notice much of a difference.

Frank

Reaction score
I got back some lost keywords, but is it a update or a fix for the indexing issue?

xecutable

Stranger
Reaction score
I got back some lost keywords, but is it a update or a fix for the indexing issue?

I believe it's a fix for the 2nd (unrelated to the 1st according to Google) index bug. Would make sense for all them 3rd party tools to scream "change" when lost urls due to the bug appear back again.

edgarf76

Reaction score
There has been ups and downs since the indexing issue first started. I saw semrush confirmed the may 22, 2019 update but seems like things are still dancing around (like usual). The algoroo sensors were very high for mobile and desktop on the 24th.

LandofOz

Reaction score
I'm not up to speed with Google's updates, but I have noticed a small increase in traffic from Google in the last couple of weeks.

Bethany Mcmillan

Reaction score
Reports are coming for the 22nd. In an interview a Google employee said a major update is coming these weeks. When nobody knows.

Thanks for this heads up, the update seem unnoticeable to me. Guess I have to make a thorough checking...

xecutable

Stranger
Reaction score
What's troublesome is that an information was shared that the "index bug" was due to human error. Someone mistakenly deleted some of the fresh data that was supposed to go live in a few hours so they locked the whole system.

And then that many of the URLs had Facebook as their anchor text but were pointing to the right url path. SEJ had an interview with 2 independent Googlers but their stories match.

PROFRBcom

Rakeback affiliate and professional poker player.
Reaction score
I didn't even know there was a May 15th update. It didn't move the needle enough one way or the other for me to notice.

On the other hand, that April 1st update really screwed us on a few pages. However, it did increase the number of pages that get hits on any given day by a meaningful double digit percentage. Still, I would rather have our prior breakdown of traffic than the current "new normal".

Constant fun with Big G, amiright?

Thomas Andreas

Reaction score
I am seen an overall decrease in traffic since march. the June update didnt help either

Thomas Andreas

Reaction score
I dont know, but it seems to me that the pages that are ranking better now have thinner content. Is anyone seeing this?

xecutable

Stranger
Reaction score
I can dig a post from Twitter where they've said that they WILL shuffle results around to see what works best. So even if your content is good and everything, you can still get shuffled and moved down.

They've also mentioned there's a lot of trial and error in these updates, so why even bother checking and worrying. What really depends on us, and what can be done.

Joey Grey

Reaction score
Mindblowing, you're a big help man. Haven't checked google yet and your post here keeps me updated. Cheers!

PROFRBcom

Rakeback affiliate and professional poker player.
Reaction score
I dont know, but it seems to me that the pages that are ranking better now have thinner content. Is anyone seeing this?

After looking over some of the keywords we have lost rankings on, I have to agree. Thinner pages are being ranked higher... pages that we previously dominated for a dozen or more months/multiple years have suddenly swapped spots with us on a number of keywords.

I have yet to see a pattern as to why.

The sad thing is, we have constantly updated the pages/content that I'm referring to and our competitors who now outrank us pages, while being thinner, are also far less up to date and accurate.

It is frustrating to say the least.

xecutable

Stranger
Reaction score
Well there was a June 3rd update. Let's not forget Google is a company. There's a lot of "trial and error" going on when fine tuning an algo that serves the whole world. Maybe they've got it wrong this time, may it will change in a few days or weeks. No need to take it personally.

Thomas Andreas

Reaction score
After looking over some of the keywords we have lost rankings on, I have to agree. Thinner pages are being ranked higher... pages that we previously dominated for a dozen or more months/multiple years have suddenly swapped spots with us on a number of keywords.

I have yet to see a pattern as to why.

The sad thing is, we have constantly updated the pages/content that I'm referring to and our competitors who now outrank us pages, while being thinner, are also far less up to date and accurate.

It is frustrating to say the least.
Thanks for sharing PROFR, so you are seeing what I am seeing. Yeah, it is frustrating. when you see your competition surpass you when you can tell you are putting so much more effort into it :(