Melbourne Australia Terror Attack

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score

LandofOz

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I feel so sorry for those affected, especially the children. Very heartbreaking.

RazorGamer

AGD Member Ltd
Reaction score
Yes, this is very sad news indeed, to say the very least! :(

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Both the police and Media are now playing it down as a guy with mental and drug issues, who was known to police.

What's odd here though, is the other guy who was arrested. He was also of Middle Eastern appearance, standing on the steps of Flinders Street Station acting suspiciously. It was originally reported he was taking photos/videos of the entire incident, as it commenced. A search of his bag found a cache of knives.

24 hours later, and the Spin Doctors have take over o_O

Police say the man who crashed his car into Melbourne pedestrians yesterday has blamed "the mistreatment of Muslims" for "some of his activities".

Comments like that makes me laugh... Especially when there are place in Melbourne and Sydney were if your not Muslim, then it's a no-go-zone. In these type of areas, there is no intention to fit into Australian way of life. Of course there seems to be no issues about receiving copious handouts from Gov., Welfare Depts., and alike.

I'm not racist, I'll talk to anyone, and treat anyone (regardless of sex, colour or creed) with the same respect as a fellow (born here) Aussie. All I expect is the same respect returned.

Edit:
After thought... An almost identical incident occurred 12months previously, where another guy used his car to mow down pedestrians, in CBD of Melbourne. That guy (Australian decent) apparently was on bail, and also had mental and drug issues. After that happened, large concrete bollards were installed all over the CBD.

Point is... nothing about IS was mentioned when the 1'st guy did it. Yet, with this 2'nd incident, the police and the media have gone into a rant about how they've foiled multiple plans to commit IS terror attacks in Australia. Why even mention that if this 2'nd incident has no connection to IS and or a Terror Attack???!!!

Last edited:

Slawete

Reaction score
Hey Dave, actually it is a wise move not to spread the word about the success of a terror attack. These bastards are just waiting to be shown in the media, this way encouraging other radicals to do the same.

Shay

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this happened. The spin doctors here would have us all believe that because Australia has strict gun control laws on the books, acts of terror such as this do not and could not possibly happen in Australia.

DaftDog

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this happened. The spin doctors here would have us all believe that because Australia has strict gun control laws on the books, acts of terror such as this do not and could not possibly happen in Australia.

This was not a gun related incident so it seems that you are trying to spin your own agenda.

Shay

Reaction score
This was not a gun related incident so it seems that you are trying to spin your own agenda.

Is that saracasm? If it is not, you're misunderstanding what I've said.

TheGooner

Reaction score
The spin doctors here would have us all believe that because Australia has strict gun control laws on the books, acts of terror such as this do not and could not possibly happen in Australia.
Perhaps you're trying to make a point about "Gun control" not stopping terrorists Shay? - but I think you scored an own goal.

Firstly - these appears not to be terrorism - but a deranged person unable to cope with life.

And secondly - although 19 people were injured and some seriously in the Melbourne incident - no-one was killed. Compare that to the multitude of deaths caused by the two recent high profile cases of local people "going mad" in the US - the Las Vegas shooting in October (59 deaths - hundreds injured) and Florida school shooting (17 dead / 12 injured).

Guns do enable terrorists and unstable people to kill more easily, the weapons are specifically designed to cause death, and to use this example as an argument against gun control seems illogical a best - and completely against the facts.

Here is an info graphic or recent mass shootings in the US - the number of incidents of "mass shooting" seems to be the point ... although the US is a huge country ...

Source :
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/oct/02/america-mass-shootings-gun-violence

Last edited:

Shay

Reaction score
If I "own goal'd", that was not my intention (although no one really "own goals" intentionally).

Dave's second post hints of a substantial bit of there's "more" to the story than the media is reporting. He is also indicating that at one point, it was stated that he did this due in part to "the mistreatment of muslims". He also referenced "other acts of terror" that were foiled - yet points out how illogical it is if the media is going to mention "other acts of terror", yet this particular act was not one that is "terrorism" by definition.

My tying it into the US is that our current set of talking heads would have us believe that countries who have strict gun control measures in place (such as Australia) have no "mass incidents" whatsoever. As such, incidents like these ones simply do not happen because guns are the problem - not individuals.

DaftDog

Reaction score
My tying it into the US is that our current set of talking heads would have us believe that countries who have strict gun control measures in place (such as Australia) have no "mass incidents" whatsoever. As such, incidents like these ones simply do not happen because guns are the problem - not individuals.

Maybe you misunderstood that your talking heads were referring to mass gun related incidents in Australia since their introduction of strict gun control measures. If this is not the case please provide some links to news videos or news articles that backup what you are saying. I find it hard to believe that any reputable news agency would deliberately make those kind of statements.

Shay

Reaction score
Maybe you misunderstood that your talking heads were referring to mass gun related incidents in Australia since their introduction of strict gun control measures. If this is not the case please provide some links to news videos or news articles that backup what you are saying. I find it hard to believe that any reputable news agency would deliberately make those kind of statements.

It is possible that I "misunderstand" what the talking heads are trying to lead us to believe - but highly unlikely. The agenda in the US is that gun control solves the world's problems. I'm not interested in comparing cocks on this.

Alexisss

Reaction score
It is possible that I "misunderstand" what the talking heads are trying to lead us to believe - but highly unlikely. The agenda in the US is that gun control solves the world's problems. I'm not interested in comparing cocks on this.

How many "mass incidents" in the US have occurred in the last 230 years or so? The first ones as far as I remember only occurred from the mid 90's onwards, strangely enough at the same time the gun control lobby started gaining traction in the media. I can see Shay's point.

DaftDog

Reaction score

I most certainly do not want to compare cocks either, but a few links to prove your point about how these talking heads are trying to brainwash the USA would be helpful.

DaftDog

Reaction score
I would not know. I do not watch it. However, I am constantly forced to sit through CNN at every airport in North America. And I find the rhetoric disturbing.

Try Fox News for blatant Trump propaganda and hypocrisy. Some of their "talking heads" will make you shake your head in disbelief.

Last edited:

NDG

Reaction score
All of the big news channels in the US are slanted towards their own agenda. You just need
to pick out the facts and form your own opinion. It's actually better these days.. because
you can go online and read as many sources on a topic as you'd like and get to the truth.