Betfair Paddy Power are closing accounts AGAIN

footballaffiliate

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
You've been warned! It's that time of year when the guys are Betfair-Paddy seem to need to save marketing budget and they're doing another clean up of affiliate accounts.

Just shutting many down without notice and stealing players again

What a joke program this is. As big a joke as their Twitter account. They go to conferences and whine that they can't compete with bet365, yet at the same time some guy back at the office is clicking delete on the smaller affiliate accounts that one day might make them as successful an affiliate program as bet365

They call it a "partnership" but it's more like a dictatorship.

Avoid this program at all costs - as a new affiliate you'll only end up sending them thousands of clicks and relying on the income, only for it to be cut off at no notice

Cowboys don't only exist in the USA. They're in Ireland too!

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
My Paddy Power account was closed yesterday too, so I am sure Betfair will be following suit.
Don't know why these guys even bother turning up to conferences like LAC anymore. Like many other programs, their terms are not favourable for smaller affiliates, or for affiliate where their brands aren't going to be the #1 focus. There's literally no point in Paddy/Betfair paying 50K for a stand at LAC this year when most of the audience is going to be affiliates who generate 5 or fewer players per month. We were doing MUCH more than that, and they still closed us down, which makes me think the entire program may be about to close for both Betfair and Paddy, like SkyBet did. I'd say we were probably a top 10% affiliate and they've deemed us unsuitable anymore

I would pull down any Paddy or Betfair ads and see what happens here, otherwise you're wasting traffic on brands that might be about to close

BetOnlineUK

Reaction score
I would pull down any Paddy or Betfair ads and see what happens here, otherwise you're wasting traffic on brands that might be about to close
I have removed PP from the main site and it is no loss really, Betfair does generate income but with the site being quiet at the moment I am sure that they will pull the inactivity term again even though sent them plenty of regs in the past. It does piss me off when you originally sign up as lifetime rev only for them to inject retrospectively the quota/inactivity term.

Insider

Reaction score
It's not a surprise and two weeks ago our betfair life time account was closed too. My answer was that they can put their message somewhere else. Don't get excited and kick them to the moon.

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
It's not a surprise and two weeks ago our betfair life time account was closed too. My answer was that they can put their message somewhere else. Don't get excited and kick them to the moon.
You'd have hoped that as part of a "partnership" they'd have reached out to see what they could work on with you together to increase performance.

Instead, as has happened for 2 decades in this industry, the corporate pigs with their noses in the trough, see this as an opportunity to steal players from affiliates who have worked damn hard to build and refer that traffic

We have removed all Betfair and Paddy ads, and everyone who works for us has personally cancelled all Betfair and Paddy betting accounts

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
I have removed PP from the main site and it is no loss really, Betfair does generate income but with the site being quiet at the moment I am sure that they will pull the inactivity term again even though sent them plenty of regs in the past. It does piss me off when you originally sign up as lifetime rev only for them to inject retrospectively the quota/inactivity term.
It's ironic though that the head of affiliates at Betfair has made a career of shutting down affiliate programs and stealing players. He was part of Blue Square when they sold out and shut down - ironically transferring all player accounts to Betfair and everyone got screwed.

And people whine about getting abusive angry emails from affiliates when they're killing off livelihoods and businesses?

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
Please circulate the news of the Betfair / Paddy closures across other forums like GPWA and others if you're on there. We need to get the message out and hurt these companies who act badly, even if it means that some affiliates who aren't closed end up reducing their exposure.

Have seen affiliate brands struggle or completely give up over the years due to underlying bad reputations that circulate the affiliate industry - Ladbrokes, William Hill, 10Bet and others never recovered from their popular days when they filled half the conference floor. StanJames died as a brand and got bought out and cancelled. Could name many others

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
Just spoke to a BIG affiliate who generates 200+ FTDs to Paddy each month and they too have had their account closed.

They said Paddy have been silent on the issue, and they have direct contacts, not just email. They've pulled down all ads and have been told by an ex-Paddy employee that the affiliate program is being closed with immediate effect.

Big news if so and a big blow to the affiliate industry

BetOnlineUK

Reaction score
Just spoke to a BIG affiliate who generates 200+ FTDs to Paddy each month and they too have had their account closed.

They said Paddy have been silent on the issue, and they have direct contacts, not just email. They've pulled down all ads and have been told by an ex-Paddy employee that the affiliate program is being closed with immediate effect.

Wow, thought it was just me when they quoted the no activity clause, what excuse did they use for this BIG affiliate certainly not that.

Closing the program is pure bollox though. If that was the case why could they not be honest about it and say the program was closing, I could understand that but to quote a BS term is not on.

nwalker

Reaction score

So not really an official announcement, just a rumour spread by an ex-employee!

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
Affiliates should try do something about "lifetime revenue share" ads on operator websites. It really is false advertising and should be caveated with the key terms and conditions. You couldn't advertise a product like this, so why advertise an affiliate program like this?

If enough people make a complaint to the ASA then these gambling companies might start to think. None of them like reports to the ASA and usually act when threatened with this, because enough complaints then leads to the ASA getting onto a company's case and acting against them when they get further reports about bad practice

Conft

Reaction score
Do what I did years ago, use the content you had on Paddy Power/Betfair etc and add advertisements ontop of it to their competitors. I have setup tracking links and generate a good income from those pages, what's even funnier is that I see Paddy Power's IPs (Power Leisure Bookmakers Limited) visit my pages every so often :D:D

Drop them and never look back.

nwalker

Reaction score
He's just been laid off with the explanation that the affiliate team will be no longer or reduced significantly
There is a difference between "no longer" and "significantly reduced". Not enough there to start the rumour mill.

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
There is a difference between "no longer" and "significantly reduced". Not enough there to start the rumour mill.
Either way do you want to send players to affiliate programs that are built on shaky ground? Unless you're on some sort of CPA or hybrid you're going to end up wasting months or years of effort and traffic on a program that will eventually cut you off

SlotBonuses

Reaction score
If enough people make a complaint to the ASA then these gambling companies might start to think. None of them like reports to the ASA and usually act when threatened with this
Thanks for the tip. I've been burned before with programs not adhering to their own ad claims. But never knew about the ASA.
Drop them and never look back.
They dumped me many years ago. So yes, life goes on - even better without the threat of wasting time and resources on "non-bet-fair" garbage.

Maybe they are clearing out affiliates and stealing players to make their "numbers" look better for a sell-out to some other equally disgusting operation. Advice - get ready to be "thrown into the water" or "abandon ship" now.

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I've been burned before with programs not adhering to their own ad claims. But never knew about the ASA.

They dumped me many years ago. So yes, life goes on - even better without the threat of wasting time and resources on "non-bet-fair" garbage.

Maybe they are clearing out affiliates and stealing players to make their "numbers" look better for a sell-out to some other equally disgusting operation. Advice - get ready to be "thrown into the water" or "abandon ship" now.

Just don't know what these guys are thinking when they shut any affiliate accounts. I mean, surely as a business you don't want any remote chance of a black spot on your reputation. Surely they must know that affiliates talk and programs get bad reputations and don't get custom.

Think it could be a sell out too. A bit like SkyBet before it got sold and used the excuse that advertising standards was the reason they were closing the affiliate program (and then ironically took back the big affiliates who almost took down the industry by faking bet slips on their website and Twitter feed - if you don't know them, Google it)

For me, if any program cheats then they get no second chances again. I've had several come back begging once they realised a few years later that we started to dominate the search results for certain things. It's a nice feeling to tell them where to stick their offers

Also make a point of not working with any individual who has been complicit in cheating us in the past, even if they move company

AidanLCFC

Reaction score
Had a Betfair account closed the other week with no notification but there was no player base there, was more of an account to build in the future. That's now 2 Paddy Power accounts and 2 Betfair ones. Real bad business practise and just shows this industry really is going to the dogs.
I saw someone mention the Blue Square thing. I was used horribly in that shafting. At the time had some great rankings and Blue Square offered me an exclusive no deposit free bet for a couple of months, and it flew off the shelf. I was sending loads of players there, easily over 100 a month and they continued playing as well. It was obvious I was used to fatten the books for a few months then pop, players stolen and gifted to Betfair. Cheers. Left a sour taste in my mouth that

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
Had a Betfair account closed the other week with no notification but there was no player base there, was more of an account to build in the future. That's now 2 Paddy Power accounts and 2 Betfair ones. Real bad business practise and just shows this industry really is going to the dogs.
I saw someone mention the Blue Square thing. I was used horribly in that shafting. At the time had some great rankings and Blue Square offered me an exclusive no deposit free bet for a couple of months, and it flew off the shelf. I was sending loads of players there, easily over 100 a month and they continued playing as well. It was obvious I was used to fatten the books for a few months then pop, players stolen and gifted to Betfair. Cheers. Left a sour taste in my mouth that

People in this industry operate with immunity, knowing that lawsuits won't catch up with them. One day they will and hopefully soon. Individuals need to be held to account for fraudulent actions like this.

Do know that some people successfully sued SkyBet when they did their smash and grab. In the UK at least it's very easy to raise a civil claim and cheap too. It's more of a hassle for the big companies if enough of us raise those claims. If a big company doesn't defend the claim the amount claimed is usually awarded to the claimant.

Perhaps a similar process in Ireland where Paddy/Betfair are based.

I suspect that if claims do make it as far as court (and they rarely do), that a judge would look down on big corporates claiming "lifetime revenue share" but stuffing exceptions in the small print their terms and conditions

In Ireland the process is similar -

Let's do this!

The respondent does not reply to the claim​

The respondent has 15 calendar days to reply to the claim. Where there is no reply by the respondent, they are then held to have admitted the claim.