Betfair Paddy Power are closing accounts AGAIN

footballaffiliate

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I would say, take your monthly revenue and claim it for the next 5 years, with a 10% churn in revenue per year - big bookies churn about 10% of customers per year.

Take 2000 euros per month in revenues.
Year 1 - 24,000
Year 2 - 21,600
Year 3 - 19,440
Year 4 - 17,496
Year 5 - 15,746

That's more than 98,000 euros robbed by these people for shutting down an account that had an average of 2000 euros commission per month.

Multiply that by the number of affiliates they've royally shafted over the years.

The stealing of revenues has amounted to millions of Euros.

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
Update on the Betfair situation. After telling us they're closing our account and refusing our appeals, we're sending zero traffic and they're still so dim that they're still paying us! These guys couldn't even organize a pss up at Cheltenham

Andy Clark

Reaction score
We finally got the nail in the coffin yesterday and our Paddy Power account has been closed. This happened back in 2021 but they agreed that it was in error and re-opened the account but now Darragh is being really shady and unresponsive when it comes to giving reasons.

When we got the email in 2021, I was offered two options as a 'settlement' - either a lump sum or keeping the revenue share open with players having a 5 year expiry e.g. if they signed up in 2021, we'd continue to receive comms until 2026. I have asked if this would be an option again but was hastily shut down.

We've been a PP affiliate for over 10 years, the account averaged approx 190-200 active customers per month generating 227 sign-ups in 2022 and averaging £40,000 turnover a month. As you can imagine this will be a big hole in our revenue and once again just shows the lack of compassion from these big companies.

I've not read through the T&Cs properly as of yet but surely signing up as PP affiliate on a RS agreement 10+ years ago, we're entitled to some sort of settlement, even if it is as good will (as was offered in 2021 before the account was kept open).

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
We finally got the nail in the coffin yesterday and our Paddy Power account has been closed. This happened back in 2021 but they agreed that it was in error and re-opened the account but now Darragh is being really shady and unresponsive when it comes to giving reasons.

When we got the email in 2021, I was offered two options as a 'settlement' - either a lump sum or keeping the revenue share open with players having a 5 year expiry e.g. if they signed up in 2021, we'd continue to receive comms until 2026. I have asked if this would be an option again but was hastily shut down.

We've been a PP affiliate for over 10 years, the account averaged approx 190-200 active customers per month generating 227 sign-ups in 2022 and averaging £40,000 turnover a month. As you can imagine this will be a big hole in our revenue and once again just shows the lack of compassion from these big companies.

I've not read through the T&Cs properly as of yet but surely signing up as PP affiliate on a RS agreement 10+ years ago, we're entitled to some sort of settlement, even if it is as good will (as was offered in 2021 before the account was kept open).
Thanks for posting. This is useful to show other affiliates that even if you're the size you were, you will still be shut. I wouldn't say you're a small affiliate with those numbers

It really does look like Paddy/Betfair are closing off their affiliate program and only working with the big guys like Better Collective. The big guys have strangled the industry. Paddy/Betfair know the UK market is now dead, so they don't want to honour previous agreements. Plus, we're heading into a recession, so expect many affiliate programs to start cutting back and screwing affiliates to protect their profit margins.

Affiliate industry for UK sports practically died several years ago when the likes of FootyAccums started posting fake betslips on Twitter and Skybet then closed their program because they saw affiliation as a big legal liability. All fake. Skybet then went straight back to FootyAccums and exclusively worked with them, and do so today.

It's dog eat dog out there, and the big guys are suffocating the small guys.

On Paddy/Betfair - everyone should tell them the same thing at the next conference when they try harass you to join the program - "NO. I've heard you cancel affiliate accounts, so we cannot work with you."

I'll be doing this to a number of programs at LAC - Paddy/Betfair, Kindred, Ladbrokes, William Hill and others. People look shocked when you confront them, but these theives need to be called out

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
What I also do when I get emails through from affiliate programs that are rogued here - I email them back and say NO, you're rogued at Affiliate Guard Dog. They then try explain, but programs need to know if they get a bad reputation then people will act on it

Andy Clark

Reaction score
I would say, take your monthly revenue and claim it for the next 5 years, with a 10% churn in revenue per year - big bookies churn about 10% of customers per year.

Take 2000 euros per month in revenues.
Year 1 - 24,000
Year 2 - 21,600
Year 3 - 19,440
Year 4 - 17,496
Year 5 - 15,746

That's more than 98,000 euros robbed by these people for shutting down an account that had an average of 2000 euros commission per month.

Multiply that by the number of affiliates they've royally shafted over the years.

The stealing of revenues has amounted to millions of Euros.
Interested to hear people's thoughts on whether this approach would have legs? It would have to be a proper legal case rather than small claims I think as the Irish small claims limit is only €2000.

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
Interested to hear people's thoughts on whether this approach would have legs? It would have to be a proper legal case rather than small claims I think as the Irish small claims limit is only €2000.

The T&Cs and therefore contract an affiliate signs up to reference that the jurisdiction is England and Wales

"13.7 This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and each party submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales for the resolution of disputes hereunder. "

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
Submitting a small claims is very easy, and cheap. Make sure you detail your claim but other than that there is no real communication or confrontation with the person you're claiming from unless things go to court, which is inevitably very unlikely as the courts look down on big companies that do not resolve things before wasting time over a small claim between a big giant and a "small" affiliate. We've been down this route and have been compensated. Some companies pay up straight away, other companies will stretch it out and reply etc and then things end up at mediation. Mediation just means that both parties get on the phone and someone in the middle tries to get both parties to a financial agreement. You don't even speak to the person you're claiming from.

Very easy. If Paddy/Betfair had enough of these they'd have to play fair because responding to 50+ claims is not worth their while, and wastes their time. If they don't reply to claims a judge will automatically award the claimant the money proposed. Then you go about hiring a debt collection company to get your money if they don't pay after x days.

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
In terms of small claims the ability to claim costs only applies to the successful party in the case. If it ever gets that far to court then a judge can ask you to pay the succesful party's cost of submitting the claim and expenses, which will not amount to much given the cost of creating a claim is very small.

Here is a good guide. People shouldn't worry about being charged with thousands for the other party's solicitors etc. A court would not make you pay this.

AidanLCFC

Reaction score
In terms of small claims the ability to claim costs only applies to the successful party in the case. If it ever gets that far to court then a judge can ask you to pay the succesful party's cost of submitting the claim and expenses, which will not amount to much given the cost of creating a claim is very small.

Here is a good guide. People shouldn't worry about being charged with thousands for the other party's solicitors etc. A court would not make you pay this.
and old affiliate here tried to take someone to court, believe it didn't end up very good for him. but this wasn't small claims i dont think

Andy Clark

Reaction score
The Irish small claims procedure looks different though and you can only claim up to €2000. That is only about a months revenue in my case so not worth it - therefore it would have to be through 'proper' courts I think, meaning a much bigger risk.