Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Who is updating Win7

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Notice a little window icon in my taskbar today. Clicked and said I could upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 for free. I'm in two minds about it right now. I didn't upgrade to Win 8 because I didn't like the way it operated. I have Win 7 64bit setup in classic view - for me that works well.

Though I guess if I don't like Win 10, can always roll-back to Win 7.

I'm also concerned about program compatibilities. Dreamweaver, Core FTP, Firework (graphics), heaps of games and other things.

I am however interested in hearing what other people's view on this are?

DaftDog

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
My desktop is only a year old and is running on Windows 8.1 so I will definitely be upgrading. If my computer was nearing the end of it's life spam I would not upgrade. I would rather wait and experience Windows 10 on a brand new machine.

Frank

Reaction score
Everything will work fine, I have been using the preview for a while for entertainment purposes and use linux for work, it really is a massive improvement over 8

RyanWeb

Reaction score
I updated to windows 10 last month, (technical preview) and I very much like it. I went directly from windows 7 because I couldn't stand Windows 8, the latest build is very smooth and clean.. Very easy to navigate and figure out coming from windows 7 (unlike 8). I use all my programs on it no problem, Dreamweaver and Photoshop are my big two.. I have a good amount of programs never had a problem with any of them.

I also don't like change so much, so on my latest (clean install) I went back and Windows Live Mail and a few older programs.. The new mail client that comes with windows is nice, but having 5 email accounts to it gets me confused so I stuck with Windows Live.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
My reservation is steeped in the BIG difference between Win 7 and Win 8. I never upgraded but heard enough horror stories to scare me away. I stuck with XP longer than I probably should have. While the transistion from XP to Win 7 was a little confusing, I managed to take up the slack fairly quickly.

I don't much like changer either - if it's not broken it doesn't need fixing mindset.

However Sounds like Win 10 is heaps faster.
I have a box with i7, 16gig ram, asus R290x gpu, 1,000w psu etc etc so on, though I think I'll upgrade to a SSD. I'm guessing this config would be drive Win 10?

So is there a choice of 32 and 64 bit?
I'm on Win 7 64bit.

RyanWeb

Reaction score
My setup is similar, i7, 16 gig DDR3 etc.

I have just a 1 TB SSD drive that I use for windows, photoshop and my most commonly used programs.. Then I throw everything else on a secondary drive. SSD is very much worth the money if you ask me. Better then a memory upgrade! And i run 64bit OS

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score

RyanWeb

Reaction score
The 2'nd drive is that a SSD too?
Nope, thats just a regular 4TB Sata drive... It doesn't need to be super fast if its just for backup or storage.. Plus SSD drives are still a little pricey and they don't make them all that big yet... So for now, this works best.

RyanWeb

Reaction score
No - our desktops are three years old - and so must not be eligible for the free upgrade.
I'll get whatever Microsoft OS is current when I upgrade. So may see Windows 10 then
;-)
From everything I hear, Windows 7 and 8 licence holders will be able to upgrade for free. If your OS is before windows 7 then yes.. You will have to pay.