WebP Image Format Tools - Need Help

PROFRBcom

Rakeback affiliate and professional poker player.
Reaction score
We want to experiment with WebP images. However, we can not find any software that will show image quality in real time before creating the image.

As a result, we have to convert an image to webp, see if it looks like **** or is too big of a file, then increase or reduce the conversion quality multiple times in order to find our sweet spot. This is a PITA and slows production time down.

We need to find a WebP converter that allows for real time views of what the image will look like. Anyone have any suggestions?

Example of what we want in a WebP converter:

webp-image-format-tools-need-help-8176d1614455501-0qevetc.jpg

ddm

Former Member
Reaction score
webp not supported natively by most browsers.
abort, abort. [i know google suggests it, but f*ck google]

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
I use this one for png to webp, maby it`s something your looking for https://www.ps2pdf.com/convert-png-to-webp
This converter does not let me see different levels of quality in real time, before conversion which is the main thing we want. Number 2 priority is an offline software so we don't have to upload and download from someone else's website all the time...

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
@PROFRBcom - can't help you on the Webp request... However, your *.png example, that program seems to really sucks at optimizing. Granted I don't use a software tool.

What I use allows me the reduce the number of colours, which reduces the file size, that, and the optimization technique this tool uses, not only makes the files small, but also can't tell the difference between the original and the optimized image.

EG - say a logo 32bit png, 150Kb (350x120) transparent bg, usually can reduce the size down to 10Kb or less. Hence, I don't need to concern myself with Webp or any other "new" image format. My *.png's are fine ;)

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
that program seems to really sucks at optimizing.
No, the example is simply not pushed into optimization mode. I told my image guy to give me an example to post and I almost sent it back because I knew someone would get distracted by the damned numbers... always go with your gut!

I bet I can actually optimize a PNG image smaller than you can Dave... I'll make you a bet, you pick the image and the amount of colors to use...

I still want to use WebP for some things, but I need a proper tool and I can't believe it is so difficult to friggen find one!

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
I still want to use WebP for some things, but I need a proper tool and I can't believe it is so difficult to friggen find one!
Guts feelings...mhmmmm.
Maybe the reason you can't find suitable software, is because WebP is a waste of time.

Regarding the *.png optimization challenge, I'm game. But will have to wait a few weeks. We're heading down the coast tomorrow for two (2) weeks of sand, surf, fishing, and general laziness. :D

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
I'm jealous my man. Enjoy your vacation, but I will kick your ass at PNG optimization when you return :)

I do not think WebP is a waste of time and when I solve this fucking software issue, I will prove it to my affiliate friends who I want to succeed but the rest of you moochers can suck an egg :p

/end early morning frustration rant

NDG

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I know that their is the Imagify plugin that is suppose to convert and optimize WebP
images. This plugin was developed by the same group that made the WP Rocket plugin.

We've never used the WebP format.. even when it is recommended in some of the speed test sites.

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
I know that their is the Imagify plugin that is suppose to convert and optimize WebP
images. This plugin was developed by the same group that made the WP Rocket plugin.

We've never used the WebP format.. even when it is recommended in some of the speed test sites.
Don't use WP.
Can't use a WP plugin.
Want a downloadable program that converts images to WebP and shows various states of compression in real time... :(

danniee

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I dont bother with webp either. Seems more like a headache. I optimise my images pre-upload using Photoshop. Doesn't take me more than 1 min to do.