UKGC to ban credit cards use from April

MissExposé

Staff member
Reaction score
The UK Gambling Commission has announced that the usage of credit cards for all forms of online and land-based gambling will be banned from 14 April.

The ban will apply to all online and offline gambling products, with the exception of non-remote lotteries, including products such as physical National Lottery tickets and scratchcards purchased in-person at approved retail outlets.

The reason for this decision is to provide additional protection to vulnerable people in Britain.

Source: https://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:

Batman

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I think if that's the case for some people then it's highly likely they will have already done that or would be going to doing it anyway whether there is a ban or not.

I think it's a good thing personally.

AidanLCFC

Reaction score
Hmm, I think if that's the case for some people then it's highly likely they will have already done that or would be going to doing it anyway whether there is a ban or not.

I think it's a good thing personally.

like i say, this isn't going to help problem gamblers at all, will push them further away from help, shady operators that will accept credit cards and do nothing to stop them over spending etc. also many people like me live on their credit card each month and do their entire monthly spend, it isn't because i'm/we are skint as I pay mine off in full the next month interest free but I get loads of British Airways airmiles, now I/we are penalised.
not saying it's the same thing but look what happened when drugs became illegal, usage went through the roof. push people away like this ban and it could open a whole new can of worms

TheGooner

Reaction score
The idea that Governments can use the credit card merchant industry codes and restrict customer spending of their own money (or credit-line) is abhorrent to me. Big brother too much.

If some people are THAT stupid, or THAT weak-willed that they cannot control themselves then they should NOT BE ISSUED with a credit card in the first place - and/or the credit card should be revoked and they can only have debit cards. THIS is the change that should have been discussed or implemented.