Tables and SEO

buddy m

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I recall many years ago I read that creating tables for your (my) websites is not very good for SEO, and can actually hurt the website with search engines. I dont remember the reason behind the statement. Does anyone know if this is true?

AidanLCFC

Reaction score
I'd check the serps. Pretty sure 99% of top ranking pages have some form of table/top list on there and they are probably doing alright.......

I don't think he means exactly that, it was more of the old way tables were coded I think, years ago that used to be the talking point I think. Saying that, I've not heard the subject spoken about for about 10 years

buddy m

Reaction score
Aiden, thats what I was referring to. I havent heard that either for quite awhile, but I wanted to add a few tables and thought, AHH I dont know. Thanks to both of you.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
@buddy m - I think table SEO is the last of your concerns. Maybe a trip to the optometrist next week :D

buddy m

Reaction score
Oh man, I'm sorry DAFT LMAO, and thats pretty funny Aussie!

ddm

Former Member
Reaction score
tables for LAYOUT are bad
tables for tabular data = good

worth noting that you can create "fake" tables using html /css without losing semantics [in order to use flexbox/css grid for responsive "tables"] - providing the context for headings/cells etc

w3 dot org/TR/wai-aria-practices/examples/table/table.html