Starting a forum

Baccarat

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to know how I can make a forum, which forum software works best? Thanks.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to know how I can make a forum, which forum software works best? Thanks.

I moved this post because you piggybacked on another users post (BTW).

Look up:

• VBulletin
  • SMF
  • phpBB
  • Invision
Those are all good forum softwares. vBulletin is the most popular, maybe the best, hard to say... all have good features.

After that, it is VERY hard work. I have several forums and most are completely baron.

Baccarat

Reaction score
Thanks Guard Dog. Once I get my baccarat forum up, I will let you know.:D

baldidiot

Reaction score
Just to throw another into the mix...

If you're an existing joomla user and want to add a forum, the guys behind sh404sef make a joomla 1.5 native forum that doesn't need a bridge. I haven't used it myself, but am tempted to give it a try.

baldidiot

Reaction score
Ooops, I forgot to add the name - it's called Agora.

winyourwaykyle

Reaction score
I currently use PHPBB and it is ok.
I think I may move over to vbulletin or do some research on some wordpress plugins and my entire site is done using wordpress...

rak

Reaction score
Ive used to use PHPBB and used to maintain PHPBB forums for a few people, and the issues I found with it were usually security based.

And then my thoughts on it are also, you want an easy to use forum, which is fast, easy to update, has great support, customisable.. for me vbulletin all the way.

bonusbeast

Reaction score
Ive used to use PHPBB and used to maintain PHPBB forums for a few people, and the issues I found with it were usually security based.

And then my thoughts on it are also, you want an easy to use forum, which is fast, easy to update, has great support, customisable.. for me vbulletin all the way.

Can you explain what kind of security issues you had with PHPbb, I was looking to start a small forum and just want to stick with a free version as opposed to paying for vbulletin.

Baccarat

Reaction score
I've recently developed my BaccaratAffiliate Forum with a forum program called Simple Machines forum, which was part of the forum applications with goDaddy. I wasn't able to switch to VBulletin because my hosting plan wouldn't allow me.

I will be adding more features to the forum as i get more time. Not much to it. What do you guys think?

constant

Reaction score
Hi

Regarding forums, I was also looking at phpBB and SMF as its free / open source.

Prefer to run that before licensing at Vbulletin, just to see how effective it is?

Any advice or issues that might arise. I have a dedicated server that my sites are hosted on, with unlimited traffic bandwidth.

Thanks
;)

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used SMF as well, before, and liked that forum much better than phpBB. There are a ton of mods for it and it was a good forum. However - once I had some $$, I converted all of my forums to vBulletin. It really isn't expensive software.

Baccarat

Reaction score
I have used SMF as well, before, and liked that forum much better than phpBB. There are a ton of mods for it and it was a good forum. However - once I had some $$, I converted all of my forums to vBulletin. It really isn't expensive software.

thanks Guarddog!