Source Code Tracking - Here is what I am using

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
As I use my favorite tool for tracking software changes to my sites, I thought... HEY - why don't I tell everyone about it? After all, it is free.

I use a GIT program to do my management and it is pretty nice. The one I use is called SourceTree (by Atlassian). What it allows me to do is update my site and show the changes so that I can back-track and fix something I may have broken :) Well... it is really all about tracking your code changes. I have a local GIT folder for my websites and when I make code changes it detects that change. Then I put a comment into the specific code change and upload the new file(s) to my website.

Anyway - probably not a great explanation, but here is a nice image:

SourceTree.jpg

Have a look, I think it will be worth your time. In the image I selected one of the files I just updated by adding a new menu item on. It shows all that information including the code change itself.

Cool.

Attachments

• SourceTree.jpg
    SourceTree.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 37

TheGooner

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Intersting.

Having previously been an industrial coder / team leader / project manager I got used to a whole lot of kit to help track software changes.

Now I'm working for myself all that goes out the window, and I run lean and mean with basic HTML editing. I take regular backups of the files and because it's so basic it's easy to restore any files needed.

I probably should take a position halfway in between and move to something like you have shown here with version management, but I wonder about how easy it is to understand if/when you have to do a full restore or implementation onto another desktop ?

As always - it's the trade-off between simplicity and ease of use vs change management.

While I'm a one man coding team I find that simplicity wins out!
;-)

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
I'm a one man coding team I find that simplicity wins out!

Ditto.
This software works well for your needs AGD because there are 3 people making changes to code. It's far easier using a platform like this, than sending emails, each time a change is made etc etc.