SEMRush or Ahrefs?

AidanLCFC

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
pretty much the title says it all. Never paid for any tools and used to just take advantage of the free version on ahrefs but that's all gone now. So which one out of the 2 is the better paid version? can you tell me the pro's and cons of each?

cheers

illuminati

Reaction score
SEMRush is a good tool for organic and ppc keyword reserch, while ahrefs best in backlink analysis and content research - remember ahrefs has a superb topic research tool included which can be really useful in certain niches.

Anyhow, I'm using spyfu at the moment (no affiliation w them whatsoever) but really, look at their prices, way more better than ahrefs, semrush or moz pricing packages. Just google for spyfu and find out more why they might be a better choice for iGaming SEO. ;)

bettingappguide

Reaction score
Ahrefs is good but costly. Loads of good tools like keyword explorer, alerts, rank trackers etc. Think they still offer a trial so you can have a play for a week and see if you like it. The blog and videos are good too

big fish

Reaction score
i've been using MOZ for awhile now and its decent. I have just started testing SemRush recently but need to get more familiar with it still. to my surprise, i had not tried ahrefs yet, so thank you very much for the heads up on that one. i'm going to try them out too! i'm an old school seo studying the ways of today's jedi algos.

jackpotcompare

Reaction score
We're in the process of trialling Semrush and are impressed so far. We'd previously tried Moz too who were also good...nothing between them really for what we're looking for.

big fish

Reaction score
Ahrefs is pretty expensive. I wonder if they have an affiliate program and if so if its a lucrative affiliate market

MartinL

Reaction score
Ahrefs is really good, costly but worthy. Lots of tools you can use / work around to help ye make your website strong. Must have a good analysis of the reports mates!

Marketer2100

Reaction score
If you're only interested in analyzing backlinks and on a budget check out Majestic

hazartnata

Reaction score
I would vote for Ahrefs, especially for spying on the competition, and research on expired domains to buy and suggesting a good keywords.

Ademir

Reaction score
i am new on this site this is my first post, just to say hello.
I use majestic, it works great from me :)

Reaction score
Ahrefs is definitely worth the money especially for me who just launched a website and are learning as I go. Wouldnt survive without Ahrefs. Probably wouldnt if I have used SEMrush either though...

Nerdybet

Reaction score
I've used Ahrefs for quite some time, and believe their platform is superior to most others. The biggest drawback is their price, even when applying yearly discounts. It's simply too much money, having to pay close to 1 K for a decent platform per year. So it's a matter of cost control vs. utility.

As with any other SEO platform you'll also run into trouble when it comes to determining anchor text ratios. Ahrefs' data is often incomplete (same goes with the other platforms), missing up to 10% of your backlinks.

Obviously, that's especially true for those who use PBNs with Spiderblockers or htaccess filters. You'll need to devise your own tracking system for that. I recommend using data validation inputs in Google sheets, coupled with a pie chart showing percentages.

Frank

Reaction score
All or inaccurate but newbies, SEO salesmen and people that don't know what they are doing swear by them, SEM rush is so off its crazy.. ahrefs does have uses though, with top keywords from bigger countries crawled regularly though it doesnt seem to include mobile and the database is only really good for USA then UK, it is a good tool for finding competitors links however

Catfish

Reaction score
The main issue with Ahrefs is that their standard plan has limits which make it useless (at least for me). The $179 plan would be my choice but I think that price is way too high. That said, I find Ahrefs has the best keyword research tool.