Ranking on same keyword on different pages

Reaction score
Im ranking on a keyword on a page buried deep on my site, which was a mistake. I now appreciate the importance of this keyword and want to put more focus on this. But since the page that is ranking for this kw is buried deep on my site I decided to create a new one but as an easy-to-get-to page. The problem is I will rank for the same keyword on these two pages and the content will be somewhat similar but with a better build up.

How would you guys handle this? I have a top 10 position on the first page but it will probably stay that way but creating a new page will have better potential of reaching higher and see much more traffic than the current one are. Should I 301 direct from the first one to the new or just keep the first one?

Batman

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
If it was a mistake i'd 301 it, although what do you mean by "a mistake". You shouldn't lose any rankings you have by doing a 301.

But without seeing exactly what you mean it's hard to make a decision. Ideally you could link to it from your home page if it's buried, do you mean loads of sub pages or just not showing anywhere?

NDG

Reaction score
If the page is buried deep on your site, then as Batman has advised, it would be best to just link
it from the homepage, or find a way to link it from a page that doesn't make it so deep on the site.

A 301 redirect is good when you are redirecting from one domain to another domain and keeping the same
content, URL structure, etc.. If you are going to redirect to a new page with a different URL and different content
or altered content, then that could affect your rankings. Rankings rely on your link juice, but they also rely
on many different factors. When you start toying with them, then their is no guarantee you will keep the position.

My advice would be to keep the page that is ranking. Take what you've learned from that page and what it
is ranking for.. and create a new page that is easily accessible from the homepage and is focused around
the same thing that your existing page is.. but not duplicating that same content. Make it much better.

LandofOz

Reaction score
Redirecting the first page to the new page might very well screw up your page's rank. It's very risky, so I personally wouldn't do it. I would just keep the first one.

Reaction score
Seems like a redirect will be too risky then and like I have less to lose to just leave it. But, is giving the first page more exposure an option since its already rankning? Or will the fact that it is on so many subpages make it limited on how good it can rank?

Gilmar

Reaction score
You should try canonical from old to new before 301. Sometimes it works just fine.

Thomas Andreas

Reaction score
does it matter if it is buried deep on your website?
I assume people are going their on organic search which means they are going there anyways

Gilmar

Reaction score
Depends on how deep /1/2/3/4? , in my opinion only if it deeper than 5th level.

Gilmar

Reaction score
Can't edit my messages, so I'll write second.

In the case of canonicals, there is no difference how deep is your landing but in eyes of Google 5+ level not that good as 2nd and 3d.