Question Relating To Wordpress Posts

societyofslots

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I am very new to wordpress. As far as I know there are 2 types of content.. 1.Pages 2.Posts

I have brought a template and when a post is added it automatically shows up on the front page. I am wondering is there a way to show (by way of tagging or other) certain posts that you want to be seen on the front page. And for certain posts to be shown on other pages ?

Like some of my posts I want to have as a news section. Whilst other posts I want to have as a video section, and other posts I want to have as demo game section..

How do you seperate the content so they are shown in seperate sections on the homepage as opposed to all being mixed up and shown together ?

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I am very new to wordpress. As far as I know there are 2 types of content.. 1.Pages 2.Posts

I have brought a template and when a post is added it automatically shows up on the front page. I am wondering is there a way to show (by way of tagging or other) certain posts that you want to be seen on the front page. And for certain posts to be shown on other pages ?

Like some of my posts I want to have as a news section. Whilst other posts I want to have as a video section, and other posts I want to have as demo game section..

How do you seperate the content so they are shown in seperate sections on the homepage as opposed to all being mixed up and shown together ?

This is just a homepage issue?

It's not too difficult, but it requires template adjustments using the Wordpress Codex (Loops). You would also want to set up specific categories. For example, if you look at: Rival Slots, you will see 3 slots at the top. Those slots are in a 'game' category. There are only 3 that will ever show up there.

The bottom portion are the posts... those are the posts ONLY in the 'Rival Slots' category.

So - it can be done, just requires a little php :)

baldidiot

Reaction score
I would also check the settings of the template as sometimes they'll have options to restrict posts to a specific category (or categories).

DoggyStyle

Reaction score
You are new to wordpress, before you start using it to create a proper website, I advise you to make some kind of "test blog" where you can fool around, test things etc. Then, when you know what you want and how to do it, start creating your real website/blog. But keept your test-blog, you'll come across new things you want to try out.

In wordpress 'settings' you can choose what is shown on your home page (static page/post or new posts). Depending on your template you can also customize your design/layout. Most premium themes have tutorials, support (forum), youtube videos.

Another tip: You can customize menus combining categories and pages, adding your own links, multi-level dropdowns (if your theme supports that), go to Design>Menu.