Question About Image Sitemap For Yoast

edgarf76

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I was doing a manual search for "XYZ slot review" and found that the attachment page for the image is ranking higher than the review page itself. I found the attachment page in the regular web results and it isn't the image that is ranking higher it is the attachment page.

I redirected the attachment page to the review page. I asked myself should I be doing this for all of the images should I adjust the settings in the sitemap? Do you guys remove the image sitemap from your regular sitemap in yoast? Any help would be great! Thank you.

RyanWeb

Reaction score
I would think that Google would sooner or later mark the attachment page as a 'thin content page'. As that makes for a poor user experience I would think having thousands of them could make G see your site as spammy.

This one attachment page is likely to have a strong backlink or something, propping up its ranking. Sometimes things slip in the SERPS that shouldn't be there, but they usually don't last to long..

edgarf76

Reaction score
I would think that Google would sooner or later mark the attachment page as a 'thin content page'. As that makes for a poor user experience I would think having thousands of them could make G see your site as spammy.

This one attachment page is likely to have a strong backlink or something, propping up its ranking. Sometimes things slip in the SERPS that shouldn't be there, but they usually don't last to long..
you told me what I know, you didn't present a solution.

RyanWeb

Reaction score
I think I misunderstood your initial post. I thought you where saying that you found an attachment page, belonging to someone else.. Asking if you should copy that format (because it was ranking).. It seems the ranking attachment page is yours? My bad.. Completely misunderstood lol. In that case, yes I would redirect via the plugin Yoast SEO > Advanced > Permalinks > Select the box “Redirect attachment URL’s to parent post URL.”

edgarf76

Reaction score
I think I misunderstood your initial post. I thought you where saying that you found an attachment page, belonging to someone else.. Asking if you should copy that format (because it was ranking).. It seems the ranking attachment page is yours? My bad.. Completely misunderstood lol. In that case, yes I would redirect via the plugin Yoast SEO > Advanced > Permalinks > Select the box “Redirect attachment URL’s to parent post URL.”

Thank you! I was in a terrible mood earlier, sorry for that reply.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
To clarify your question... For me personally, If say I attach an image(s) to say a slots review page, if someone tries (that also includes bots) to access that attachment URL directly, it is redirected to the actual slots review page.

Not usre if that's what your asking about?

RyanWeb

Reaction score
To clarify your question... For me personally, If say I attach an image(s) to say a slots review page, if someone tries (that also includes bots) to access that attachment URL directly, it is redirected to the actual slots review page.

Not usre if that's what your asking about?

Confusing at first but yes I think that is what he was asking if he should do, and the best method to use (as I said, I would do it via the plugin settings).

Thank you! I was in a terrible mood earlier, sorry for that reply.

No worries, it happens to the best of us :)