Page Rank Gone?

CaseyM

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score

Aussie-Dave

Former AGD Member
Reaction score
There are rumours that PR is no more!

Since Google figured out people were buying links and trading links to increase PR they (Google) devaluated it ages ago. Whilst links still hold value (depending on the link etc...etc) worry about PR is a waste of time.

Consider this PR0 sites outrank PR6 sites, what does that tell you about PR :rolleyes:

CaseyM

Reaction score
Yeah every thread everywhere about PR basically says the same thing, its useless etc, anyway thats why I started this one...

what metrics will people be using now when it comes to QUICKLY assessing a site for link exchange etc?

OR in your case Dave what metrics do you currently use?

Aussie-Dave

Former AGD Member
Reaction score
OR in your case Dave what metrics do you currently use?

I don't exchange links so I don't have that quandary ;D

However if I had to evaulate a site worthiness it would be as follows:
  • Quality of textual content - written for humans not bots.
  • Checking who is linking to them - no point trading links if they have bad neighbourhoods.
  • number of out-bound links where my link would be place and relivance of that page to where my recip link is pointing.
  • Where they're ranking in Google for keywords/phrases.
I'd also be more inclinded to grab x number of sites and if all checks out above, monitor them for a month. No point trading links if a site is amassing 100's a month, it's likely to get flagged - especially now with the Panda updates.

My strategy is quality over quantity, that includes links or actually web-sites. It's not let me down yet. IMO these days more than ever it's important to follow the Google suggestions and to be extra cautious with whom you associate your site with.

michael_b_seo

AGD Member Ltd
Reaction score
i know the solution!

everybody, use google toolbar for IE. PR check works there!! the only problem that you should move your mouse over the icon...:mad:

casdir

Reaction score
There are rumours that PR is no more!

If we are to assume this isn't a rumour, what metrics will people be using now when it comes to QUICKLY assessing a site for link exchange etc?

If PageRank ever disappears, I think a website should be assessed by how many links it has, and how well it is ranking in Google. If a website has a lot of links, and is ranking well, then its a good website to exchange links with IMO.

Bogs

Reaction score
If PageRank ever disappears, I think a website should be assessed by how many links it has, and how well it is ranking in Google. If a website has a lot of links, and is ranking well, then its a good website to exchange links with IMO.

I absolutely agree with this. There are many other facts you can check about site except PR. IMO the main thing you can use could be Alexa rank. Anyway, the main thing you should check is quality of content of some website

xecutable

Stranger
Reaction score
The whole rumor started after Google's PR url changed from "toolbarqueries.google.com/search" to "toolbarqueries.google.com/tbr" and many addons stopped working for a while, until the authors updated them.

I myself had to update mine, as no updates were offered, but wasn't a big deal. While Google might devalue the PR importance, I doubt it will ever be gone.

EmmaisEmma

AGD Member Ltd
Reaction score
I believe that if PR will be gone , there will be a new ranking system that SEO'ers will have to get familiar with , so it doesnt matter what is the ranking system ...