Nofollow Youtube videos

Thomas Andreas

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Hey,
does anyone know how to embed youtube videos on your website and have those videos be nofollow (the videos are not from your own youtube channel but from somebody elses)?

Roulette Zeitung

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you first want to make look your sites better with third party videos instead of creating your own videos and then you also want to ensure, that the creator of the video will not have any advantage for his work and the time he invested into the video?

If you are using third party videos, then it's your ethically duty to publish under the video also the correct video-link with dofollow.

And if you would have any idea about SEO, then you would know, that a website without any dofollow links is not only a sucker-page for any person with decency. It's also in the eyes of Google a sucker-page.

Leopold

Thomas Andreas

Reaction score
relax man,
no need to get personal. You do understand that it is never bad to understand things. Just because you understand how to do things does not necessarily mean you have to apply it.

Roulette Zeitung

Reaction score
This is nothing personal. This are facts.

I know a lot of webmaster, who are creating worthless sub pages, filling them with videos of third party creators only to get good positions on some Google keyword suggestions due to Google's auto complete or the suggestions at the bottom of the result page.

Everyone is free to do what the wants. but I am free to say my opinion on that, that this are lousy people, because they do not want to give the reader any real value, they just want to have positions and so traffic on the expense of others and are even abusing real people and their names, who are known in the gambling scene, like my name.

This is the reason, why I show no respect to people, who are using other's people art without quid pro quo.

Leopold

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
anyone know how to embed youtube videos on your website and have those videos be nofollow (the videos are not from your own youtube channel but from somebody elses)?

Do what you want, your choice. However... using someone else's content and then trying to avoid giving cred back to the content-owner, isn't much different (on unethical basis) to using scraped content... just sayin!

Thomas Andreas

Reaction score
what I don't understand is this:
#1 if I uses someone else's video (meaning I am embedding it) then credit is giving no matter if there is a follow or nofollow link.
#2 I am not speaking about stealing the video (meaning downloading it) and pretending it is my video. So it is not fair to call it scrapping.
with that logic, if you like somebody elses article and you link to it from your own article with a nofollow link that would be scrapping then! which clearly it is not and everyone is doing that. That does mean that you cannot send follow links as well

DaftDog

Reaction score
Hey,
does anyone know how to embed youtube videos on your website and have those videos be nofollow (the videos are not from your own youtube channel but from somebody elses)?

You specifically asked how to change an embedded video so the link would be nofollow. As far as I know this can't be done if you're embedding the video with the Youtube link.

what I don't understand is this:
#1 if I uses someone else's video (meaning I am embedding it) then credit is giving no matter if there is a follow or nofollow link.
#2 I am not speaking about stealing the video (meaning downloading it) and pretending it is my video. So it is not fair to call it scrapping.
with that logic, if you like somebody elses article and you link to it from your own article with a nofollow link that would be scrapping then! which clearly it is not and everyone is doing that. That does mean that you cannot send follow links as well

I can use a nofollow link to link to an article on your site if I choose to do so. However if I was using some of the content from your article then the decent thing to do would be to use a dofollow link.

Always try to be generous in life and you mostly won't go wrong. ;)

PROFRBcom

Rakeback affiliate and professional poker player.
Reaction score
I think there is a time and a place for nofollowing the content of a YT video. Consider perhaps that you are pointing out something about some group you terribly dislike, let us use Nazi's for example as many people will agree that they were "bad people".

Say you are contrasting the Pope (and LOL, I know some of you think he is probably "bad people" too) to Hitler. And you want to link to video clips of both of the Catholic Church, and of a recent Nazi group's lynching of a dark skinned person (again, this is a wild example and this shit doesn't really happen in modern times).

Would you really want to DF link to the Nazi group's "hate video" or would you NF it if you had the chance? I know some of you would say simply not to link to it at all, but there are others who value the proliferation of information, ALL information. However, those same people might not want to give BENEFITS to information or causes that they disagree with.

With all of that stated, I think you can NF YT videos, but perhaps you would need to use different code than the normal embed code. The normal embed code uses iframes and by default downloads a TON of extra information and data that is very much MOBILE-UNFRIENDLY. As such, I would suggest that you create your own YT code anyway, or use some from off the web.

You can write a script or use a light Youtube embed code from online. Typically it will involve creating some .js files on your server and/or putting some code in the <HEAD> of your pages. But I think that you could easily put the NF tag into those files such that it created the link as NF within the <BODY>.

Thomas Andreas

Reaction score
Thank you ProFRB,
that would be a great example. some people just take offense to easily and quickly. without seeing another angle .:)

Last edited: