Move homepage content to post?

Boid9

Reaction score
Hi guys, I want to change my homepage. Today it contains a lengthy blog post about a specific topic.

Can I use that post and make a new post with it?

chaumi

Reaction score
Yes, you can.

But..........first of all...... make sure that the home page is not ranking for any terms that are contained in the content you're going to remove....or that the content you're removing isn't supporting the home page to rank in some way. If it is, you have some thinking to do.

If the home page currently ranks for nothing, you probably have no real worries.

But if the content you're removing/moving is indexed, there are some risks. The most obvious will be if the moving content makes up a large bulk of the home page. In this case, it's possible that the new page for it doesn't get indexed before a search engine has noted that it's no longer there on the home page, hence if it 'sees' it on the new page, it may classify it as duplicate content (much might depend here on what else is on the pages). The risk may be it won't get indexed because of that...and then you potentially have a ton of work (and time) trying to recover.

In spite of all the above, you could still do it if time isn't an issue (ie time for either to rank/get indexed). But the strong advice would be - if you do it - then make sure that both resultant pages are the strongest you can make them.

AleksUnder

Reaction score
You can update and use it.
I hope this content doesn't exist on 2 URLs (main and blog page).

Boid9

Reaction score
Today, it´s just one monster article that isn´t 100% on topic for the domain keyword when I think about it. I thought it would be better to move it to a post where I can get a 100% matching URL slug. If it matters, that is.

chaumi

Reaction score
You'd probably get better/enhanced feedback if you posted the URL so we can see exactly what's involved, but appreciate you may not want to do that.

preditor

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Is it perhaps a WordPress site, where you have posts as mainpage (default settings)?

If yes, I would make an static page as homepage and have the current article as an article (blaa.com/articles/xxx | blaa.com/xxx).
After this, I would use the title on mainpage as a H2 link to the article, perhaps with teaser text under it.

If you are using WP and need help, just hit me with an message! I am pretty good on WP themes, handmade themes for 10+ years.

gm2891

Reaction score
Seems like he wants to create a new page on a slightly different subject and have it as a homepage. And then keep the current homepage as a regular page.

It is easy to do, simply set whichever page you want in your WordPress settings to be your homepage. But I would have a think first about what Chaumi's mentioned above before doing so.

Wesley Murphy

Reaction score
You can do that. The main thing is to make sure that the same content is not repeated on several pages at the same time. Also, deleting a post from the main page can affect its ranking

Thomas Andreas

Reaction score
cant you update it and keep on on the homepage? Wouldnt you loss ranking if you complete rework the homepage content?