Microsoft, Yahoo announce search deal

bonustreak

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft Corp. has finally roped Yahoo Inc. into an Internet search partnership, capping a convoluted pursuit that dragged on for years and finally setting the stage for the rivals to make an all-out assault against the dominance of Google Inc.
The 10-year deal announced Wednesday gives Microsoft access to the Internet’s second-largest search engine audience, adding a potentially potent weapon to the software maker’s Internet arsenal as it tries to better confront Google, the leader in online search and advertising.
Google tried to stop Yahoo from falling into Microsoft’s camp. Last year it formed its own proposed search advertising deal with Yahoo, only to be forced to retreat from that alliance after U.S. antitrust officials threatened to sue
The extended reach will allow Microsoft to introduce its recently upgraded search engine, called Bing, to more people. The Redmond, Wash.-based software maker believes Bing is just as good, if not better, than Google’s search engine. Taking over the search responsibilities on Yahoo’s highly trafficked site gives Microsoft a better chance to convert Web surfers who had been using Google by force of habit.
“Microsoft and Yahoo know there’s so much more that search could be,” said Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer. “This agreement gives us the scale and resources to create the future of search.”
(Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)
In return for turning over the keys to its search engine to Bing and promoting it, Yahoo will get to keep 88 percent of the revenue from all search ad sales on its site for the first five years of the deal, and will have the right to sell ads on some Microsoft sites.

FULL STORY

WCD Admin

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
This sort of thing could do WONDERS for those of us who have been outed from Yahoo for YEARS. SERPS could sore, along with income from those of us missing from Yahoo SERPs.... I'm stoked!

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I never thought of that! I'm hoping. Would love to have more traffic. I do see traffic from Bing already, so maybe that will show even more once Yahoo integrates results everywhere.