Marketplace Fairness Act or Affiliate Nexus Tax Law?

Affiliate Empire

Reaction score
Hi guys, we have seen that Amazon and Overstock are currently dealing with these laws..So for you what is really the difference between both, and which one would you support?

Affiliate Empire

Reaction score
Of course I realize this is a gambling affiliate forum and all the programs are not based in the USA.
My program is not even based in USA but I have US affiliates, so I try to put myself in their shoes and understand these 2 laws.

I guess there are not only non-US affiliates here? Or maybe I do a big mistake :).

Finally it can be relevant to people who have US affiliates, are US affiliates or just want to interest themselves to the US law regarding the Affiliate Marketing.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
it can be relevant, but not always. There are both US and non-US affiliates here.

Affiliate Empire

Reaction score
Yes it´s true it can be irrelevant for some and relevant for other ones. I guess some can be interested.

slotplayer

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I have 4 mail order sites. I knew about the Marketplace Fairness Act but not the Affiliate Nexus Tax Law. I get a lot of sales from states like NY and CA that have a high sales tax so collecting any taxes will surely kill sales. I only collect the tax for my state right now.

As an fyi Google just closed down their affiliate program (GAN) this month so I would imagine there were many affiliates whos' income dried up.

In 2012 Google changed the free Google Product Search to Google Shoppping, a purely commercial model in the USA, This year its the UK and several other countries that are being moved to the commercial model. Retailers are forced to run Adwords or be possible removed from Google Shopping.