London iGB Affiliate Conference

footballaffiliate

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Anyone go to the iGB conference last week? I did. Haven't been for a while. Pretty busy and lots of brands. My observations though from an Affiliate Guard Dog perspective -

Loads of Curacao licensed brands
Loads of brands based in Cyprus
The mainstream guys have all cut back
Loads of crypto people

Seems that the industry has taken another turn to the dark side. Happens every few years as the crooks and scammers find new licensing locations and new ideas to skim off the industry.

Oh, and the usual - guys dressed smartly in suits but wearing shoes with no socks! Why do people do that?

Plenty of arrogant people there wanting to talk to you for 20 seconds before losing interest. I even saw a very agressive guy go up to the Betano stand and demand to speak to the CMO because he was a media buyer. They said the CMO wasn't there and he just kept on shouting louder "I need to speak to the CMO". How does this industry never fail to produce new unprofessional people who wouldn't survive a week in another industry?

Loads of media buyers now. You tell someone you have a website and they look at you confused. Like they've never seen an affiliate with a website before. I'd say 80% of people attending are chancers doing media buying and acting like they're the biggest thing out there.

Sad really. Not sure I'll venture to Barcelona next year.

betclever

Reaction score
We went! Main purpose to have meetings with existing partners but correct what you are saying.

There are hardly any brands with a UK licence there, even went to one stand that did have a UK licence and they didn't even have any affiliate managers there, just pretty girls handing out leaflets which baffled me.

Seems they seem to be moving back to what it was 4/5 years ago where the focus is getting in models in hardly any clothes to populate the stands.

In terms of the people who approach you, we have always used the same thing. Just tell them we work in the UK only for licenced brands and that gets rid of them pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
We went! Main purpose to have meetings with existing partners but correct what you are saying.

There are hardly any brands with a UK licence there, even went to one stand that did have a UK licence and they didn't even have any affiliate managers there, just pretty girls handing out leaflets which baffled me.

Seems they seem to be moving back to what it was 4/5 years ago where the focus is getting in models in hardly any clothes to populate the stands.

In terms of the people who approach you, we have always used the same thing. Just tell them we work in the UK only for licenced brands and that gets rid of them pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

iGB would do well to have a section of the conference, an area, or even a conference on its own that was JUST for UK licensed brands

It would save a lot of time and hassle for a lot of UK market facing affiliates.