Latest Google Update

Gabriel Valentine

Reaction score
Those heavily hit by the recent update may need to double-check if they weighted on one or two particular outputs in their SEO strategy. Probably the new algorithm changed something towards a particular part of your optimisation. We have had some drops but also gains, fairly moderate and balanced. Although Google moved the average keyword ranking with nearly 6 positions we still have our anchor keywords ranking pretty well if not better. I would suggests check on what weight you put on your SEO those ho have a notable drop in rankings eg. are you solely focused on backlinks? whats your do follow/no follow ratio (Google is talking for a while that they would likely include no follow links in their algorithms), is you content anchored or is just a bunch of wording, snippets etc? Anyway the truth is that we all guess and the best think is just to continue what we are doing and tweak it accordingly.

AidanLCFC

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming it is unrelated as google said the update had rolled our weeks ago but I'm still seeing lots of movement. In my niche as well seeing some sites getting completely bombed out. Not going to mention those sites as I don't think it's fair but there's at least 3 I've noticed. Seems like there is some sort of filter that gets triggered, and you're either in or you're out

Marketer2100

Reaction score
I'm assuming it is unrelated as google said the update had rolled our weeks ago but I'm still seeing lots of movement. In my niche as well seeing some sites getting completely bombed out. Not going to mention those sites as I don't think it's fair but there's at least 3 I've noticed. Seems like there is some sort of filter that gets triggered, and you're either in or you're out
Hey mate, any chance you could PM those 3 sites?

Frank

Reaction score
Also send me the url I have a theory which im testing now but any other info would be appreciated.

BetOnlineUK

Reaction score
Massive jumps today, back to where it was and better. Anyone else seeing it too?

I fear it is only temporary though :)

Jambo

Reaction score
Also our rankings jumps in the last 2-3 days again. Something is going on!

AidanLCFC

Reaction score
seeing lots of movement. 1 site I have made sure I've done nothing and just following serps, after coming back to page 5 and dancing about this morning bounced back down to page 11. I'm still of the thinking google have some sort of filter and they are moving the trigger point about. 1 site I have seen (not mine) was pushed right down after the May update, like out of the top 10 pages, it is now back on page 1 for 1 phrase after being on page 11. They may have made changes or not so no idea if there are other reasons for the improvements.
Personally whatever they did in the may update I think they've been trying to cool it down a little bit and strike the right balance but no idea what, nothing makes sense tbh.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score

AidanLCFC

Reaction score
When has google ever made any sense, aside from fleeting moments ;)

TBF over the years I honestly think overall google was pretty decent, you followed the guidelines and you're halfway there. You built links with anchors, you ranked for that, you had decent content it ranked. Now I'm seeing pages go from page 2 to 12 and back to 2/3, if that content is good enough to be on page 2 it makes no sense at all now that it drops down to page 12 and then google thinks it's good enough again to go back to page 2. There was always exceptions to the trends with google and you could pretty much see what and why things were happening, but now it just seems a lottery

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
@AidanLCFC - when the Google circus (Panda et al) turned up on our doorsteps, everything started to go South.

When an SE can ruin one's livelihood overnight (effectively stealing the food from families mouth's), not because a site is conducting dodgy practices, scams or anything, instead, G just decides to f#ck with their alog, to a point where, it de-ranks legit sites.

When that happens, its time to split your eggs into other baskets.

Once I used to live and breath G. Now, I don't.

FYI... since that breakup I'm still standing.

Conft

Reaction score
I had a couple old sites, that I hadn't done much with for several years go up. Makes no sense.

I have seen exactly this, old sites that haven't been updated recently or had any new links ranking higher since this update. Also seeing some articles ranking that provide little more than a wall of text.

falseadoom

Reaction score
I have seen exactly this, old sites that haven't been updated recently or had any new links ranking higher since this update. Also seeing some articles ranking that provide little more than a wall of text.
I don't even think my old sites have backlinks. If they do might be 1 or 2 max.

AidanLCFC

Reaction score
Dropped a couple of spots but nothing like last time, YET
a couple of spots are worse now than the May update. no idea what is going on now but the serps are a mess again. and I'm not saying that because I've lost out, one phrase I was long gone but at the moment I'm seeing 2 different sets of results for the same phrase and 1 set is truly awful. Things are still moving now

EDIT for more details - Should say I check the serps using FF private browsing with a London VPN so seeing one set for 'bookies' on that and then just my usual browser chrome with no VPN seeing a complete different set in Leicester. All history and cookies are deleted etc with both

Last edited:

AidanLCFC

Reaction score
meh, seems to have stuck whatever it was. this is just my take, and not seen it anywhere else but I am wondering if they tried to tweek the May update and re-roll it out again, it would make sense as basically everything I saw this week I saw the same with the May one. looks like it's another game of waiting to let the dust settle