Is it Worth It Anymore for a Beginner

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Least the WP hacker seems to have been de-ranked somewhat.
Still have to protect yourself from site scraping though. A new site with no authority/no links, gets hit hard if your content gets scraped.

If your using WP and your RSS feed(s) is not being syndicated, it's a new site so I doubt it would be... Then my advice, kill the RSS.
That is don't have the damn thing working. It's just another way that bots scrap your content. I'd also stop Google & other SE's from caching your site too.

You need to plug all the holes that scraper bots and also humans could use to scrape your contextual content. You may also want to stop image hotlinking too.
There's a WP plugin (wp-content-copy-protection) which closes some of the code access points.

This piece of javascript stops your site being loaded into an iframe or frames. It's called a Break Out of frames script. Copy and paste it into the header.php file just before the closing </head> tag.
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
if (top.location != location) { top.location.href = location.href; }
//-->
</script>

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
r just not use wordpress as its poor.

That's like saying... if you go out at night you could get robbed!

How about telling us exactly why you consider WP as poor and give some examples too.

Darren Colebrook

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
That's like saying... if you go out at night you could get robbed!

How about telling us exactly why you consider WP as poor and give some examples too.

Wordpress struggles once your traffic gets above a certain level, although it works for smaller blog websites with low traffic it doesn't in the high end. In Wordpress its very difficult to build a customized good quality website (which we all know google want), your website ends up looking generic just like many others. If you do manage to build a custom website chances are you will have used numerous plug ins which will then slow your website down even more. Alot of the plug ins don't work together and when you install one you then have to uninstall another, or install an extra plug in to make the others work. Studies have shown that wordpress websites suffer more in google rankings, you are far more likely to get penalised and it takes longer to rank using wordpress. On top of that Wordpress sites don't run ads or should I say its very difficult to run ads on. Lastly Wordpress is the easiest and most hacked platform on the net, Hackers target wordpress sites all the time, it only takes one hack and all your hard work is gone and as this is easy and more common in wordpress, so why risk it? When you download a plug in you are running a risk it is infected, if you avoid all this you might have a half decent site which can handle medium traffic. IMO its easy to just build your own website and use google cloud and App engine, this then means your website will scale to whatever you need.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this comment:

IMO its easy to just build your own website and use google cloud and App engine, this then means your website will scale to whatever you need.

Can you elaborate on that? I don't know much about this or how it works. How do you build on this platform and have a database for your site? How do you build and geo-ip? Just curious how it works :) Any information is good information! I would expect building ON google would make google want to love the site, just makes sense for THEM.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to elaborate your view Darren.

IMO its easy to just build your own website and use google cloud and App engine, this then means your website will scale to whatever you need.

Most affiliates use WP because, well, their not developers.

While I can and have developed bespoke php/db driven sites, I choose WP because it works for me. Granted there's security issue but that can also happen with any bespoke CMS or db driven site. I personally don't have the time to waste. Then again, I block the holes; the nasties are stopped before the 1'st line of WP code is run. Add in bare minimum plugins and an optimised theme, running on a gutzy box etc etc. I've never experienced any speed issues or ranking issues for that matter and I've had some heavily trafficked WP site over the years.

I would expect building ON google

Ummm I took it that... Darren builds the site... THEN uses google cloud and App engine ;)

WCD Admin

Reaction score
Isn't there an astrology forum somewhere you can join to post your pointless crap on?
I think its just English. What he is saying is that in the beginning of the domain name craze once the 3 letter domain names were gone, people started reg'ing the 4 letter ones.... in other words, there is always something new, a new niche, a new technology, etc... In other words, no its not to late, but you have to think outside the current box.

Frank

Reaction score
Wordpress struggles once your traffic gets above a certain level, although it works for smaller blog websites with low traffic it doesn't in the high end. In Wordpress its very difficult to build a customized good quality website (which we all know google want), your website ends up looking generic just like many others. If you do manage to build a custom website chances are you will have used numerous plug ins which will then slow your website down even more. Alot of the plug ins don't work together and when you install one you then have to uninstall another, or install an extra plug in to make the others work. Studies have shown that wordpress websites suffer more in google rankings, you are far more likely to get penalised and it takes longer to rank using wordpress. On top of that Wordpress sites don't run ads or should I say its very difficult to run ads on. Lastly Wordpress is the easiest and most hacked platform on the net, Hackers target wordpress sites all the time, it only takes one hack and all your hard work is gone and as this is easy and more common in wordpress, so why risk it? When you download a plug in you are running a risk it is infected, if you avoid all this you might have a half decent site which can handle medium traffic. IMO its easy to just build your own website and use google cloud and App engine, this then means your website will scale to whatever you need.

Did you just make this up? there are thousands of wordpress powered blogs that get millions of visits daily.. most of the hacks are down to universal idiot errors no different to your Gmail password being 12345 of course it will be the most hacked as its the most popular.. same as facebook hotmail back in the day etc,, you do not need to use plugins but they are there if you need, and with regards to rankings all of mine seem to be in the top 10 from the articles i publish daily, No work is ever gone if you run regular backups and what are you talking about ads?

RyanWeb

Reaction score
Wordpress struggles once your traffic gets above a certain level, although it works for smaller blog websites with low traffic it doesn't in the high end.

I believe the US and UK gov't use wordpress, they have pretty high traffic blogs.. NASA and the EPA.. Then you have sites like wordpress.com .. That one runs wordpress I believe..

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
If you have a $3.95 cheap-as-chips hosting account and your getting oddles of traffic, it wouldn't matter what platform your using.... the site would be sloooooooooow.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Did you just make this up?

There really needs to be a WARNING in BIG RED LETTERS, when a member posts something this funny. Because just about every time I read these things, almost always, I'm about to take a sip of something - I've already drowned 1 keyboard before.

slotplayer

Reaction score
Big Companies (like Amazon, Yahoo, Google, Twitter, eBay) use a combination of Python, Perl, Ruby, Java and C++. WP is fine for most sites.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
If you think about Darren's reply to my question, it was a bit troll like... just sayin

slotplayer

Reaction score
I didn't think of it in one way or another but I knew where he was coming from. He was wrong about the throughput especially with the amount of data affiliates need to process.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
He was wrong about the throughput especially with the amount of data affiliates need to process.
Maybe it's just me but things like that I find strangely odd. Especially since you've pointed this out.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep... absolutely true. I'm sure everyone loves to hear this.. but I could write a program to scrape anyone's site no matter what 'magic' you put behind it to stop scraping. And I could write that program in about 5 minutes. It's just that easy. And the guys who are doing the serious scraping are doing it this way - automatically and with their own bots. Much more sophisticated that I would be able to come up with in 5 minutes. And their algorithms allow them to shift content and do any number of things.

It's tough to combat. Only Google, Bing, Yahoo, and the other search engines can really help us out against scrapers. They can only do that by indexing our content first. That USUALLY happens, but not always if a scraper puts his scraper specifically onto a website (guessing on that part).

Overall - it just sucks. And yes. It isn't just WP. It is any site.