Is it necessary to build links for inner pages?

michael26a

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Does anyone do link building for their inner pages? I'm just trying to work out whether it is necessary or not. Can you rank well in Google without advertising your inner pages? Or does it look more natural to advertise your inner pages as well? Any advice would be appreciated, cheers :)

Vladi

Reaction score
Yes.
Yes, but only for your home page.
Yes, it definitely looks more natural.

leporello

Reaction score
Some of the best SEO peeps believe Panda has a direct correlation with a lack of links to inner pages. I would say on a 10-30 page site, having only homepage links would be fine, but as that starts going up to 50, 100, 1000+, homepage only links would imply that you are making tons of junk content that is not worth linking to. Obviously not ideal.

michael26a

Reaction score
Some of the best SEO peeps believe Panda has a direct correlation with a lack of links to inner pages. I would say on a 10-30 page site, having only homepage links would be fine, but as that starts going up to 50, 100, 1000+, homepage only links would imply that you are making tons of junk content that is not worth linking to. Obviously not ideal.

That makes complete sense :) Brilliant strategy by Google for working out which sites are spammy or low quality.

lojo

Banned
Reaction score
Make good quality contents and your external links will grow up naturally! ;)

i try not to, really i do.

Sir, if you wish for the advantages associated with certified programs here, please remove the less than savory aspects from your listings.

So "make good quality content" please.

lojo

Banned
Reaction score
Yes.
Yes, but only for your home page.
Yes, it definitely looks more natural.

Since when is caffeine or panda or even omnivore organic? I took that as what he meant as far as "natural". To me the interlinks, especially the _mouseovers_ are a distraction and piss me off. i scan a page with my cursor, not my eye. A mouse over should be relevant - for the reader not the seo. if it is art, let it be more art, if it is text make it matter.
A quick look (for the op) at successful sites will answer what the best of these guys are doing. yeah? interlinks obviously matter for certain techniques.There are AI engines in play so there is no formula and the 'technique' you employ today may well change tomorrow.

Last edited:

lojo

Banned
Reaction score
i want to quantify my last statement about "AI engines in play". i failed at seo miserably in '94 and '95 and not so miserably after that. i will never claim seo ability. The algorythms are manipulated by people in power. just ask

lucasworkshop

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone do link building for their inner pages? I'm just trying to work out whether it is necessary or not. Can you rank well in Google without advertising your inner pages? Or does it look more natural to advertise your inner pages as well? Any advice would be appreciated, cheers :)

You don't have to build links to inner page... I have a website on top of google for football matches without any interlinking at all.
You will rank well at google if you update your website regulary and write unique content... naturaly people write thousands of keyword combinations in google and for some you will rank at super top and for some others will rank better then you.

You should get natural links to your site as someone wrote before!

You can advertise you inner pages if you want to do that... but it won't make any difference for Google directly...

Last edited:

onlineslotmachines

Reaction score
Internal Linking

Just make sure that when you add links to your inner pages, you do it naturally and consistently. If you have a web site with, let's say, 500 pages, don't add 50 links for three days and then none for two weeks. That might get Google's negative attention. Add a smaller number of links (let's say 20) each day consistently and naturally. With Panda, internal linking is vital.

michael_b_seo

AGD Member Ltd
Reaction score
it's nice to build some links to innerpages

you'll bring traffic to those pages. and then you can add their links to your homepage and boost it's ranking. but usually you're building links to innerpages, if you have a lot of links. if not it's better to boost homepage.

Bogs

Reaction score
It is really important to have links to inner pages, but in the same time it is difficult to get them. Every page on the site or a blog should be optimized for specific keyword or group of similar long tail keywords. In that manner you should try to build links for different anchor texts for every page. The simplest way is to make internal links with same anchor words and links. Some webmasters buy new domains for specific pages to make it available for directory submissions and find inner links on that way

onlineslotmachines

Reaction score
Links

I launched a link building campaign at the beginning of this year. My goal was to add backlinks slowly and consistently to the inner pages of my site, which has close to 600 pages. Like I said above, adding too many backlinks at once might get the negative attention of Google, which none of us want.

I have had a lot of success with Digg. However, I read somewhere that Google spiders banklinks to Digg in several calendar days. This is NOT true. It is a much longer process. Much longer. Some pages never get spidered at all, while others do. Why certain pages never get spidered goes into my "I don't know" file.

I also tried My Link Vault, another socail bookmarking site. I had to stop using them because, over the period of months, it appeared that none of the pages were being spidered by Google.

For me, constant experimentation is needed.

lojo

Banned
Reaction score
I launched a link building campaign at the beginning of this year. My goal was to add backlinks slowly and consistently to the inner pages of my site, which has close to 600 pages. Like I said above, adding too many backlinks at once might get the negative attention of Google, which none of us want.

I have had a lot of success with Digg. However, I read somewhere that Google spiders banklinks to Digg in several calendar days. This is NOT true. It is a much longer process. Much longer. Some pages never get spidered at all, while others do. Why certain pages never get spidered goes into my "I don't know" file.

I also tried My Link Vault, another socail bookmarking site. I had to stop using them because, over the period of months, it appeared that none of the pages were being spidered by Google.

For me, constant experimentation is needed.

I am about to embark on a couple of test campaigns for potential clients. I plan to do an empirical study (more or less double blind) but I already have a hunch that google will treat the sites differently no matter the variables (and you obviously can't put up three identical sites to prove this).
The variables are:
Social Networking
Blogs
Wiki

All external links other than these will be no follow and I will have a ratio of 3:1 internal links to external. It is an organic study as far as I can tell so I think 6 months is a fair span to draw a conclusion (Panda et al should remain constant for that time?)

As frustrating as it is trying to increase my potential value to clients (can only imagine an affiliate's quandaries) I find the whole crazy making exercise fascinating and intriguing. I like not having anything invested in it - I can be dispassionate and passionate at the same time - sweet place to be.

My awareness so far? Internal links hell yeah but I am still seeing aged sites topping the serps for no other reason than age and less than 50% broken links.

Google is using fuzzy logic, mark my word.

Joan Digweed

Reaction score
I do suppose that this is necessary, but only after the homepage will be on the required position.
Promoting the inner pages, you promote the whole site using different keywords - so what the bad it in?