Intertops and How It All Started

MissExposé

Staff member
Reaction score
Ever wondered how an affiliate became an affiliate?
Here's a story about Intertops - an affiliate program celebrating it's 20th anniversary this year!

“I founded my internet company in 1995 with a search engine called ‘Suchknecht‘ at its heart. Back then I didn’t have any idea how I was supposed to earn money with it, but – whatever – not everyone has their own search engine.

I started getting a foot in the door using premium rate numbers with mobile phone logos… And earned around 50 Euros in the first month.

Gradually I found my place in the local online-scene, where people who were looking to make money on the Internet got together…

Butchers, barbers, unemployed people, postmen like me…

Postmen….

That was me… I worked from 6 to 10 delivering letter and then came home and played around on my 486…

At some point I delivered a letter to a certain address, the founder of Intertops

And he needed to sign for it.

For some reason I wasn’t having a very good day… I had probably just split up with my girlfriend, or my bank account was overdrawn or some bullshit like that.

Okay – So I rang the door-bell and a stressed-looking secretary came to the door with a ‘give-me-that-and-then-get-lost‘ look on her face.

Okay, my dear. That’s not the way it’s going to be…not today… I need to see this guy.

In person… at 8.30 in the morning.

After a lot of to and fro, she went and fetched the founder from his… well from his private quarters and he signed on the dotted line. Strangely enough he was in a good mood and we got chatting about this Internet thing. After what seemed like an hour or so, I told him that I had my own search engine and we agreed to see each other again.

Wow – I had an appointment!

Okay… it was time to take that big next step.

The founder and I think Helmut was present too, kept on talking about affiliates and nice amounts of money… I didn’t really know what they were going on about, but I just said ‘yes’ to everything.

So, I got home, looked up ‘affiliate‘ on altavista, understood what it meant and got started..."

See more at Affiliate Insider.