FLASH vs. HTML 5

lots0

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
For those of you that are not aware... the Ipad/Iphone will not be supporting FLASH ever, according to Steve Jobs.

So if you want into the handheld market, a big part of the market is going to be exclusive to HTML 5.

Anyone have any thoughts on HTML 5?

Anyone started doing any development in HTML 5?

Do you think HTML 5 will replace Flash?

I just sent one one of my monkeys off to learn html 5... Cost me a bundle.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if there will be 3rd party applications that allow the usage of Flash on the iPad or iPhone? I'm not surprised they aren't supporting it, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Interesting, though, I'll have to look further into HTML5.

lots0

Reaction score
From what I understand Jobs literally hates FLASH and there will be no 'official' 3rd party apps to support FLASH in the ipad/iphone.

And as Apple perdy much controls all the i/phone i/pad apps, it does not look like FLASH will be a part of the i/family anytime soon.

Looks like apple just rolled out a new 'upgrade' that makes sure FLASH won't run on their stuff.
Steve Jobs vs. the world | Adventures in IT - InfoWorld

Renee

Affiliate Program Representative
Reaction score
Surefire way to make people not buy it.. Don't give the people what they want and charge them a crapload for it..

Sheesh.

lots0

Reaction score
Here is another article about how much Jobs hates FLASH and how he is never going to let FLASH on Apple products.
Steve Jobs attacks Adobe Flash as unfit for iPhone - Yahoo! News

I think it's all about money(greed) and control.

If Apple lets FLASH on it's products, Apple will no longer have total control over ALL the apps on Apple products. Apple will no longer get a 30% cut of every app sold for it's Iproducts...

As a FLASH developer... this really sucks.

HTML 5 sucks too... Just try and create a Flash "like" game or banner with HTML 5... I guarentee you'll be pulling hair and pounding walls or paying a boat load of money for development.

Last edited:

tryme1

Reaction score
I also hate Flash, but I'm not sure my opinion carries as much weight as Steve Jobs.

I've messed around with HTML 5 but have been equally dis-satisfied with that. Aside from the purported 'flash replacement' capabilities, it seems to add no value.

To my mind, I'm disappointed that we've gone from a reasonable technological consensus that allowed web developers and designers to create stuff that worked to, well, this chaos.

Ho hum.

lauferb

Reaction score
flash and actionscript 3

Personally I like flash (actionscript 3), sure it's not as easy as HTML but it's also much more powerful that HTML
I don't count all of these talks that try to attack flash... it comes usually from people that try to push their interest that is for example the interest of apple to dominate rich internet applications by a technology that they bring.
last company that tried to do it is Microsoft with their silver-light (and it failed)
flash is today installed almost everywhere, supports social media, widgets, gadgets, and more

Worldwide Ubiquity of Adobe Flash Player by Version - March 2010
Flash Player 8 Flash Player 9 Flash Player 10
Mature Markets1 99.3% 99.1% 97.0%
US/Canada 99.3% 99.2% 97.2%
Europe2 98.6% 98.3% 96.1%
Japan 99.3% 99.0% 97.3%
Australia/New Zealand4 98.0% 97.9% 94.6%

and people that try to attack this technology are just not serious...
especially if apple claims that flash is slow... iphone IS slow! I had iphone 3G and dumped it for a Nokia...