Eraning money from Forums

adrenaline

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Im thinking about making a forum for a football team I have a great passion about and advertise for betting there. Are anyone else doing this and what is the turnout from it?

setting up the forum is something I alwasy have wanted to do and after I got into affiliate buissiness I thought i coulde include some banners there and hopefully get some signups from there.

Some ppl say that the worst place to earn money are from Forums so im very qurious about this.

Thoughts?

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not the worst place to earn money, but building a forum is very difficult and time consuming. This is why people think it is the worst as far as payback.

My only thought on a football forum is that if you are talking NFL, they are very pro-active against gambling. Be very careful.

adrenaline

Reaction score
There is a team from Premier League in England that I want to build up a forum about. I didnt think it would be an issue though..

CygX1

Reaction score
There is a team from Premier League in England that I want to build up a forum about. I didnt think it would be an issue though..

Guard Dog was just referring to American Football. You will have much less hassle with a forum for the British market.

Regarding your original question: A forum pays off nicely if you have knowledge in your subject, moderate the forum well and have lots of time to take care of spammers and same crazy folk. :) It will be a full time job but you may hire moderators if it gets too much.

WCD Admin

Reaction score
Regarding your original question: A forum pays off nicely if you have knowledge in your subject, moderate the forum well and have lots of time to take care of spammers and same crazy folk. :) It will be a full time job but you may hire moderators if it gets too much.
Yep I agree with that - and I also think they can pay off nicely. The trick is having passion which you state in your first post. If you are INTERESTED in the topic an like to talk about it, you'll probably do well. The problem (imho) most people have with forums is that we are mostly webmasters, building sites, not managing people and being social; therefore we want to cheap out on forums and it simply doesn't work. You need people who are excited about it and want it to be a success. Try to get a few of your friends to shoot the breeze there, that will go a long way. No one likes an empty room. Goodluck!!!

CygX1

Reaction score
...and... forget about anything else other than vbulletin. It's not for free but if you are serious about your forum, imo the one and only way to go.

AidanLCFC

Reaction score
if you have the passion for it and want to put the effort in then go for it. The hard part is getting people to post, and keep posting, what team is it? as there seems to be a forum for most teams already so you'll have to think about what will make your forum better than the others already out there

Leo

Reaction score
I would also go with vbulletin, there's a good community for addons and modifications, and a lot of information available for customizing the software. And since it's a commercial product, they're very active in fixing any potential security risks. That's necessary because new security problems are regularly being found in most website software and if the software provider isn't active then you can end up with a hacked site, which can take a lot of time and effort to fix.

But you can't imagine how many spammers will be attempting entry to your forum every single day! Blocking the spammers is a constant side-job along with running the forum.