Email List with HostGator

Oracle

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I want to set up a new website but this will be a case of building up the reputation and the content before I put in much money.

A feature I have found to be extremely useful to convert is a weekly email that links to a good article on my site and I currently use Aweber elsewhere but for the number of subscribers between 10k-25k that has an annual charge of $1,788.

I am looking at alternative options for the new site to keep costs to a minimum and as the site will be hosted with HostGator I have seen they offer email lists - additional information here:
http://support.hostgator.com/articles/specialized-help/email/how-to-set-up-a-mailing-list-in-cpanel

I realise that when I transfer this list to Aweber this will require an opt in but I will develop a strategy to maximise that when the time comes so that I can take advantage of all the additional features that are offered.

Has anybody used this mailing list from HostGator and what do you think are the pros and cons I should be aware of before taking this on?

Thanks.

tryme1

Reaction score
I've not used PHPList in years, but the main problem is deliverability. This is even more acute for gambling sites. All the main email providers - AWeber, MailChimp and so on - have deals in place with the ISPs to ensure email sent via their services gets through and to minimise the chance it will end up in the junk folder.

Using your own list, you don't have that advantage. For me, unless your new website isn't gambling related, I would always use AWeber or similar.

Oracle

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

If the first email received went into the spam folder and the recipient marked it as not being spam would future emails arrive straight to the inbox?

tryme1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

If the first email received went into the spam folder and the recipient marked it as not being spam would future emails arrive straight to the inbox?

It depends on which email client the recipient is using and what they are marking as 'not spam'. If they whitelist all emails coming from, say, newsletter@oraclesfantasticnewsletter.com then everything will get through from that point onwards.

If they just mark a single email as 'not spam', then there is still a potential problem with future emails.