Do website updates frighten you?

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
So... Do they?

I am getting ready to update one of my portals, slotsonfire.com. It needs major work since I haven't touched it in a very long time. :( There is a LOT of code there and I am to the point where I don't even know if I should completely renovate or just plug in different code.

The update for this site would be to bring games from my central database instead of locally, fix the voting javascript and comment script, and fix the banner serving.

Everytime I look at it, I want to immediately do something else....

Does anyone else ever get like this???

bonusgeek

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
So... Do they?

I am getting ready to update one of my portals, slotsonfire.com. It needs major work since I haven't touched it in a very long time. :( There is a LOT of code there and I am to the point where I don't even know if I should completely renovate or just plug in different code.

The update for this site would be to bring games from my central database instead of locally, fix the voting javascript and comment script, and fix the banner serving.

Everytime I look at it, I want to immediately do something else....

Does anyone else ever get like this???

Man I get like this all the time Andy. I have been wanting to revamp geek for a while now but am reluctant to rocking the boat with google with a full redesign. It pisses me off because I really want a pimp design but it's not worth the risk to me.

WCD Admin

Reaction score
It can be so punishing. You sit there designing to guidelines. You take down your old spammy pages. Less outgoing links, less site-links, better site architecture, cleaner look... Google should really like this you smile.
----------------

From what I've read the fear is commonly know as "Gagglenoia" and is produced when you think doing the right thing for your visitors may actually destroy your company. Some people will sit on a website release so long that its outdated before they finally get the nerve to release it

----------------

This type of information incest is making a huge impact on the internet provoking the headline just last week: "Google Gaggles The Internet" in which the article went onto state that Google was causing information to "stop" or "stunt" itself because people are being afraid to release corrections and changes to their websites out of fear that if they make changes/corrections they will go out of business. This is resulting in millions of people being misinformed about a myriad of things.

bonusgeek

Reaction score
Ah, finally a name for my syndrome lmao. This is a pretty good rundown of exactly where I am at too. It's a classic case of being caught between a rock and a hard spot. But if I ever do decide to move forward with a redesign I will do it one page at a time to see how it effects me and how long I tank on the 301's when getting my structure right.

It can be so punishing. You sit there designing to guidelines. You take down your old spammy pages. Less outgoing links, less site-links, better site architecture, cleaner look... Google should really like this you smile.
----------------

From what I've read the fear is commonly know as "Gagglenoia" and is produced when you think doing the right thing for your visitors may actually destroy your company. Some people will sit on a website release so long that its outdated before they finally get the nerve to release it

----------------

This type of information incest is making a huge impact on the internet provoking the headline just last week: "Google Gaggles The Internet" in which the article went onto state that Google was causing information to "stop" or "stunt" itself because people are being afraid to release corrections and changes to their websites out of fear that if they make changes/corrections they will go out of business. This is resulting in millions of people being misinformed about a myriad of things.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just time to pull the trigger, then, for me. I will try to do a redirect on any URLS, I suppose, but maybe it's just worth it to overhaul and not get gaggled, I mean gaugled, or googlygocked. :)

Renee

Affiliate Program Representative
Reaction score
I had the same issue with a personal site of mine (not gambling related) about 2 years ago... The old site was ugly as hell, and badly done for things like SEO because I just wacked something together... so I decided to take the plunge and redesign it, fixing all the filing structure, making it look pretty etc..

Turns out it was the best thing I did, and even though the site doesn't get much traffic because I haven't worked on it in a long time, it gets more traffic now than it did back when it was ugly, and the visitors from the search engines are where it has increased..

Obviously this is something that is very tricky to decide, but once you make the decision I guess that's when you'll know if it worked to your advantage or not.. I'm sure it will be different for everyone..

I've seen a few affiliates post that they redid their whole site and it benefited them.. and I've seen the exact opposite too... where people were so upset that since they changed their site their rankings dropped etc...

Good luck, whatever you decide :)
Let us know how it goes!

Vladi

Reaction score
This week's votes .. all zero.
Copyright 2006-2007.
RTG forum is full of spam.

I feel sorry for you ... but there's a lot to do! Stop procrastinating!

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
This week's votes .. all zero.
Copyright 2006-2007.
RTG forum is full of spam.

I feel sorry for you ... but there's a lot to do! Stop procrastinating!

Crap! I am supposed to get a post notification when there is a new post ;( Yeah, I have a LOT of work.

Thanks for the kick in the ass everyone... now I have work to do.

greek39

Reaction score
A complete nightmare IMO but a necessary one. The worst is grabbing marketing material for me. I designed a few of my sites where changing design is done fairly quickly. The worst is trying to decide which programs to dump and who to replace them with. I swear for me this takes a very long time.

greek39

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it's started.... Forums are updated, but mainly because that was the easy part :) Got rid of the spam, but now I have a HUGE project in updating the rest of the site. I forgot how complex that site was. Dammit!