Direct traffic question

nibnab

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
This happens consistently every week. It usually happens on Friday's and Saturdays.
I'm getting around 200 direct visits. Avg. session duration is less than 1 second.
The traffic is coming from Russia & US.

My question is why? Can this kind of traffic have a negative impact on my site?
Are you experiencing similar issues?

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
I'm getting around 200 direct visits. Avg. session duration is less than 1 second.
The traffic is coming from Russia & US.

My question is why? Can this kind of traffic have a negative impact on my site?
Are you experiencing similar issues?

Without seeing your raw log files, it's like asking us how long is piece of string. Your welcome to DM (PM) me your raw log files with this data, and I'll give you an idea of what it is, and if you should be concerned.

NDG

Reaction score
If all of the visitors are coming from one city and each one is staying for 1 second, then it is most likely a bot or scraper.

Kadabra

Reaction score
On the same note: checked the direct traffic and over the past 2 months see thousands of visits from IP range related to 23.100.232.233 ip.
comes with this string: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/5.0; Trident/5.0)

Someone can suggest if i can just block the whole range (23.100.232.0/24) or i am blocking some real traffic or google bots or something.

ARZ

Reaction score
I was facing something simmilar as well, but it stopped after some time with no harm to the site. But it can be different in your case. Wish you luck

NDG

Reaction score
On the same note: checked the direct traffic and over the past 2 months see thousands of visits from IP range related to 23.100.232.233 ip.
comes with this string: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/5.0; Trident/5.0)

Someone can suggest if i can just block the whole range (23.100.232.0/24) or i am blocking some real traffic or google bots or something.

The IP that you mentioned is from Microsoft Corporation, but it has been reported as an abusive IP.

It could be Bing, or it could be something else at their data centers.. that doesn't really need to be accessing your site.

Here is an article about it. The exact IP is mentioned at the end:

https://www.journeybytes.com/block-microsoft-corporation-traffic-google-analytics/

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Seems the IP:23.100.232.233, is assigned to Microsoft Azure, which is a cloud service. Bad bots are setup on these cloud based services to scrap, hack and commit other nefarious acts.

Hence, it's not actually "Microsoft" BUT the client (owner of said bot) using the Azure Service.

Had a dig around my logs, and for the past 2 days, a bot has persistently attempted to gain access to my wp-login.php page.

I don't use WP security plugins (they're useless). Instead, I use more sophisticated methods, which block all and any crap at the front-gate. Which only expends a few bytes of data.

As of it's 3'rd attempt, this bot has received a 503 error, and will continue to receive that error, till the cows come home.

EDIT:
Should add, I also block Majestic, Ahrefs, Moz and anything else that scraps content to use against me. I'm not denying these are great tools. However, the fact a competitor can use this data against you, is reason enough for me, to block access to MY content.

FYI... most, if not all nefarious bots use very old browser versions. EG - Firefox version 41 (current version 73.0.1). I block all EOL (end of life) browser versions. Just doing this, will block a large % of crap-bots hitting your site(s).

Last edited: