Digg, Reddit etc

byebyebaby

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
How many of you use these services, to add posts and stuff?

Does this work for getting backlinks?
I am having such a hard time getting backlinks. Are they still important?

pinkytoe

Reaction score
It depends on the quality of the content you offer! If it is good enough, then the links will be easier obtained.

You have to think about your content, and how much it appeals to the demographic of the social network. Reddit is generally for highly involved 'nerds' of a given topic.
Reddit can actually be a great tool for generating discussion and researching topics.

I have heard alot about StumbleUpon paid promotion as a useful tool for gaining good exposure.

edgarf76

Reaction score
They are social networking sites, they are not IMO a place to get backlinks, they are a place to create a good following of readers. Digg, Reddit, and other social networking platforms are excellent to get readers, and direct business, and I do use some. Why are you having such a hard time getting backlinks? Have you read about any link building strategies? You have to be very careful about where you are getting backlinks with the way the algo's are today. Let's take the keyphrase "USA online slots", how would you go about getting backlinks for USA Online Slots?

There are a few really good seo newsletters you can subscribe to, which may help, SERoundtable and SearchEngineLand.

If you can be more specific on your link building strategy I think that more people can help.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Social Media is a great way to increase your site's footprint. However, if your just adding SM for the sake of having another icon or because everyone else has it, then you'll likely be disappointed. I only use FB, Twitter, G+ and YouTube. Apart from Twitter which I populate with a auto post tool from my WP site, the rest are manually added content.

I'd rather be spending time adding fresh site content than stuffing about with too many Social Media places.

byebyebaby

Reaction score
I only use FB and Twitter now. I was just googling a bit about getting quality backlinks and I got a lot of pages about using reddit etc for that, so I was wondering if that was true or not.

I really haven't been doing anything about backlinks until now, but I guess I should. Was just wondering what the best ways are, without having to contact websites and beg them to add a link. Or link trading, don't know if that still works?

edgarf76

Reaction score
I only use FB and Twitter now. I was just googling a bit about getting quality backlinks and I got a lot of pages about using reddit etc for that, so I was wondering if that was true or not.

I really haven't been doing anything about backlinks until now, but I guess I should. Was just wondering what the best ways are, without having to contact websites and beg them to add a link. Or link trading, don't know if that still works?

I see that you have not used the my websites feature yet. Give it a try

lalalaenhund

Reaction score
StumbleUpon doesn't work for gambling, it's against their TOS. It's generally more difficult to get "mainstream" backlinks in the gambling niche, however not impossible. For other, more "clean" niches, they can be really fruitful sources of traffic and backlinks.

pinkytoe

Reaction score

lalalaenhund

Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't know that. I just remember looking at their paid stumble options and remember reading that gambling related sites weren't accepted - perhaps I was dreaming, or it's forbidden just for paid ads?

edgarf76

Reaction score
StumbleUpon doesn't work for gambling, it's against their TOS. It's generally more difficult to get "mainstream" backlinks in the gambling niche, however not impossible. For other, more "clean" niches, they can be really fruitful sources of traffic and backlinks.

It actually works well IMO. If your content is "Adult" you have to put it under the NSFW, but never had a problem with SU.

Thamma vongsa

Reaction score
yes profiles links are best and long lasting links yes Social Activity is always Most Important

lalalaenhund

Reaction score
It actually works well IMO. If your content is "Adult" you have to put it under the NSFW, but never had a problem with SU.
I'll definitely have to look into SU more then. I'm glad I showed my ignorance and possibly learned a new traffic source :D

lalalaenhund

Reaction score
I was referring to the fact that I originally claimed that SU didn't work for gambling.

Do you guys have any special tips for SU? Do you just submit your content and hope it sticks, or perhaps buy some likes to help it catch on? What kind of content works best? And has anyone successfully used paid stumbles in the gambling niche and made a profit?

edgarf76

Reaction score
I was referring to the fact that I originally claimed that SU didn't work for gambling.

Do you guys have any special tips for SU? Do you just submit your content and hope it sticks, or perhaps buy some likes to help it catch on? What kind of content works best? And has anyone successfully used paid stumbles in the gambling niche and made a profit?

Participate, comment, stumble, favorite, friend others. it will take time to build a following but it is worth it IMO. The best special tip I would say is not to buy likes or buy anything, you are putting your profile in jeopardy. If you are going to buy anything buy good content and gain readers and convert them.

Giggity.

Reaction score
Not sure about Digg, but Redditors generally have a very good eye for spotting cheap SEO and marketing attempts. A link posting will most likely get downvoted into oblivion and/or swiftly removed by mods

That being said, a legit link would do good, their sites metrics are through the roof and Reddit at least are dofollow

Once again though, be very careful how you do it, I wouldn't even bother unless you had a very good and legit reason to drop a link. Redditors tend to be very cynical, and as a result are good at detecting bullshit/cheap marketing ploys

Source; Redditor since 08

edgarf76

Reaction score
Not sure about Digg, but Redditors generally have a very good eye for spotting cheap SEO and marketing attempts. A link posting will most likely get downvoted into oblivion and/or swiftly removed by mods

That being said, a legit link would do good, their sites metrics are through the roof and Reddit at least are dofollow

Once again though, be very careful how you do it, I wouldn't even bother unless you had a very good and legit reason to drop a link. Redditors tend to be very cynical, and as a result are good at detecting bullshit/cheap marketing ploys

Source; Redditor since 08

I thought that reddit did not allow gaming related content. Is that true to the best of your knowledge?

LandofOz

Reaction score
I get more visits from pinterest than I do from all the other social networking sites combined.

Giggity.

Reaction score
I thought that reddit did not allow gaming related content. Is that true to the best of your knowledge?

Haven't checked that deep into it, but it makes sense. The only exception I can see is if you had a really legit content link that provided some value beyond a review, promotion or the usual gambling affiliate type content. Like if you had a legit news blog and did an opinion piece on important gambling legislation or something. Even that would be iffy though, as the article url's are clearly displayed and people are not generally prone to clicking on gambling related sites, or even strange ones for that matter