Custom Website CMS? Anyone have one?

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As I keep developing my scope document, I wonder... does anyone out there have a custom CMS? I think some of the big guys do for sure.

I'm wondering if I should try to get mine built in: Drupal, Wordpress, or other? I had my own built previously but it was hacked. I"m trying to build something more robust, secure, and just plain better.

Any suggestions on this? I was going down the Drupal path (thinking of..), but may be thinking WP plugins now. Just not sure. Maybe Drupal for the backend and then WP for the front-end of the websites..

societyofslots

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
jeez,, I go round and round in circles with this myself.. Drupal to Joomla to Wordpress and back again.. I have tried all 3 and never managed to produce anything of significance.. Im now creating a databse for the slots ready to attempt to build my own CMS.. or again try working with Drupal.. But CMS;s confuse the hell out of me. All the updates and 6.2.1, 6.2.2 type versions.. And the updates for modules.. and some get updated and some don't and u end up with php errors.. and a nightmare.

Ive came to the conclusion if I want a basic site i use html/php but if i want comething more robust, i need to learn to code myself. Because u just cant rely on others unless your paying a fortune for it.. And I dont have a fortune to spend.

Im in the same boat Guard Dog - where to turn ?

Jaz

Reaction score
Unless I'm developing around a blog, I'm using MODx CMS, they call it a CMS framework because of it's superior flexibility compared to other CMS's out there, including Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress. I especially love MODx templates which are 90% simple html with a few MODx specific tags. It's simple, flexible and elegant unlike Wordpress or Drupal where developing a new theme can be quite complex and time consuming.

If you think coding your own CMS would be a good idea because you haven't found a good and flexible CMS yet, then clearly you haven't tried MODx yet.

societyofslots

Reaction score
If you think coding your own CMS would be a good idea because you haven't found a good and flexible CMS yet, then clearly you haven't tried MODx yet.

Id never heard of it, but i will certainly look in to it - thanks..

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard of MODx, but never tried it. Maybe not a bad idea. The problem with hiring contractors is that you have to hire those who know the tool.. and I'm not sure the popularity of this one :( I'll look around, thanks!