Create new post or update old?

danniee

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Like most of you I write plenty of game reviews. I also sometimes write about upcoming titels and then later on a full review when its released. This cause a problem I suspect. According to "Moz" it's not effective to use a keyword on more than one page?

Should I instead update the old article, maintain the url structure and then bump it up to front page, or should I just write a new article?

NDG

Reaction score
My opinion is to write a full review of the game and keep the article about the "upcoming title". I wouldn't put focus on the
old article, now that you have a full review.. but I don't see how it would be a problem if they are both unique articles.
Articles on news sites are quickly outdated as new information comes out.. and they tend to write-up new articles with
updated information or recent developments.. instead of going back and adding information to their original article.
You could always put something at the end of the "upcoming title" article that directs visitors over to the full review.

Biti

Reaction score
The best option in my opinion is to split it into news articles and reviews. In the news article you announce a new slot, same time you make a review. Just write what you know about the slot and publish it. Just for ranking purposes. When the slot is released, you leave the news article as it is and you change the text of the review.

I would suggest to do this. It's important to be among the first webmasters with a slot review.

Reaction score
The best option in my opinion is to split it into news articles and reviews. In the news article you announce a new slot, same time you make a review. Just write what you know about the slot and publish it. Just for ranking purposes. When the slot is released, you leave the news article as it is and you change the text of the review.

I would suggest to do this. It's important to be among the first webmasters with a slot review.

Second to this. You can have as many articles you want (ah well..) for a slot game as long as the intent of the article is the same. If you base the articles around "when" and "how" you will notice how much they differ, and that will G too. What I also do is to update the old article with just a short text in the beginning for the user:

Update 2018-02-07: Read the full review of Finn and The Swirly Spinn

danniee

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies so far guys!

The problem I seem to get by doing it my way is that the news post will obviously rank way higher than my review post. At least for a while until the review post starts climbing.

So when you google a slot and come across my sites, there appears to be a bunch of "coming soon" half written posta. Not what you want to rank for.

I guess in a sense, this is keyword cannibalization?

I noticed other sites do as suggested here, to create a review post to begin with and with the info thats available at the time, then update it and bump it once more info is added? Or maybe even skip the bumping part? I mean, how often and when to bump it anyways? Oh I added rtp, lets bump it?

Also, in terms of keywords. Im using Yoast. There only seems to be room for on keyword, the focus keyword. Does it have to be exact match as written in the text? I mean, we might want to rank for "NetEnt Aliens" because thats likely what people are going to google. But how do you fit NetEnt Alien naturally into an article? Its more likely to be written like "NetEnts new slot Aliens is..."

Thank you guys

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies so far guys!

The problem I seem to get by doing it my way is that the news post will obviously rank way higher than my review post. At least for a while until the review post starts climbing.

So when you google a slot and come across my sites, there appears to be a bunch of "coming soon" half written posta. Not what you want to rank for.

I guess in a sense, this is keyword cannibalization?

I noticed other sites do as suggested here, to create a review post to begin with and with the info thats available at the time, then update it and bump it once more info is added? Or maybe even skip the bumping part? I mean, how often and when to bump it anyways? Oh I added rtp, lets bump it?

Correct, this is keyword cannabilization on broad terms. But I have to ask you a question, and other webmasters too out there; what is the gain vs. cost of being top #1 of a one-article-soon-to-be-released-slot ?

I did this strategy for some time but was unable to trace any positive results from people entering FROM Google. However, I could track pageviews from inner pages of the websites. Instead of making 1 post about 1 game I did a monthly roundup of "Top 10 slots to be released in February".

And this shit was great on a broader perspective; Google love news articles aka. fresh content (like yourself pointed out in the qoute above), I was able to brand the article with "XXX-brand think this monthly roundup is XYZ" steering away the focus of the titles of slots/game providers to OUR opinion and makes the content unique compared to what others were doing, put in A LOT of nice broad terms kw's with sexy anchor texts to inner pages, create content in form of Top-lists which increased increased pageviews AND I didnt have to administrate 1 million of posts.

Also, in terms of keywords. Im using Yoast. There only seems to be room for on keyword, the focus keyword. Does it have to be exact match as written in the text? I mean, we might want to rank for "NetEnt Aliens" because thats likely what people are going to google. But how do you fit NetEnt Alien naturally into an article? Its more likely to be written like "NetEnts new slot Aliens is..."

Thank you guys

No, you dont have to use it exact match in the content yourself; write the content for the user, make it sexy and easy to digest. "NeEnts new slot Aliens" is very sexy. Don't rely on Yoast since its a tool for inferior webmaster doing client low grade SEO. Trust your gut feeling and real time search data :)

Bonus tip: If you want to squeeze in an exact match keyword, put it in the name of the image/s but make sure to write the alt-tag sexy (its your first point of contact with customer!).