Blocking Translator Traffic

cowboy

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I have some sites where I'm getting tons of traffic from Google Translator tools and I'm pretty certain it's people scraping my content. So I found a way to block that traffic via .htaccess:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} via\ translate [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} via\ babelfish [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} google\ Wireless\ Transcoder [NC]
RewriteRule .* - [F]

Sends translator tools to a 500 error page.

Vladi

Reaction score
Risky ... it could be real customers. After all it would be trivial to scrape the site then translate it later to get around your block.

lots0

Reaction score
I agree with Vladi, it could be real customers.

Instead of blocking the translator... Why not put up 'correctly' translated pages of your content?

cowboy

Reaction score
I feel pretty comfortable with the "risk" after studying the stats. Keeps translating all the pages into Russian in the space of a few minutes. I think it's something automated and I'm betting they won't bother if the automated method is blocked. I know I've never made a dollar off a Russian player... So I'm rolling the dice. :)

lots0

Reaction score
Ahh you didn't say it was only Russian translations...

In that case I agree with you. Block it.

dominique

Certification Member
Reaction score
I feel pretty comfortable with the "risk" after studying the stats. Keeps translating all the pages into Russian in the space of a few minutes. I think it's something automated and I'm betting they won't bother if the automated method is blocked. I know I've never made a dollar off a Russian player... So I'm rolling the dice. :)

Been there, done the same. :)