Welcome to Hummingbird - The New Algo

muffincrumbs

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
New Google algorithm has been in effect for a month already.

FAQ: All About The New Google "Hummingbird" Algorithm

Faster than a speeding small bird, more powerful than a locomotive filled with pandas, now Google should be better at understanding long phrase keywords. They say it was the biggest overhaul since the caffeine update. I tried it out once and I can't stop shaking...

Combined with no more keywords and I think its gonna be good times before it all falls apart in the US anyway.

:mad:

Anyone have a spot in the UK where I can rent?

???

LandofOz

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any difference in traffic from google. fingers crossed :)

baldidiot

Reaction score
Only thing I've noticed is that google has gotten really bad at getting me the info I'm after - was trying to find delivery times for a parcel I'm expecting and after trying 10 different ways of phrasing the same thing, I eventually gave up. I just kept getting the same results showing the same unhelpful pages on the post office website, none of which answered my Q...

Pretty sure in the old days it would have found it first time, no problem.

edgarf76

Reaction score
It is interesting because there is post here seroundtable.com/google-spam-harder-17517.html with Matt Cutts stating is harder and harder for spam sites to rank on google.

I agree to a very small point. When I search I see less of the EMD on page lander sites but they do still exist and are ranking. At the same time the "Brand" sites are dominating the SE now, so the changes that Hummingbird have made are different but not as strong against Spam Sites IMO.

mikebuchanan12

Reaction score
I believe it will take up to 6 months to see the real effect from this update, I believe they are still to generate the data needed for the results and associations they want to show as search results. No matter what Cuts say spammers will always exists and there will be constant battle.

NDG

Reaction score
Google continues to say that these updates are making the results better for searchers, but
I still see a lot of garbage when I'm using the search engine. I use DuckDuckGo on occasion,
just because I can find much better results when I'm using their search engine. I'd prefer to
use Google, but I really don't see the benefit of the latest updates in my daily searches.

mikebuchanan12

Reaction score
Google continues to say that these updates are making the results better for searchers, but
I still see a lot of garbage when I'm using the search engine. I use DuckDuckGo on occasion,
just because I can find much better results when I'm using their search engine. I'd prefer to
use Google, but I really don't see the benefit of the latest updates in my daily searches.
Anyone that cares what and where to search for will use few sources different than Google - start with Bing, but the mass users are so used to Google that it will be insane to change the trend. Someone has to come up with something very unique and very special otherwise I don't see how it will change soon. What I find funny is the effort of Google to make a break in Russia and still they fail, maybe we should see why Yandex are so special there?

muffincrumbs

Reaction score
Anyone that cares what and where to search for will use few sources different than Google - start with Bing, but the mass users are so used to Google that it will be insane to change the trend. Someone has to come up with something very unique and very special otherwise I don't see how it will change soon. What I find funny is the effort of Google to make a break in Russia and still they fail, maybe we should see why Yandex are so special there?

With the loser results I have been seeing I am certain they will get it back together one day or it will be bing only for more than just you and me.