The 90% Rule

TheGamblingGuru

Turning Over Stones
Reaction score
I'm curious how many of you guys know about and use the "90% Rule"

The 90% rule that I'm referring to here is the "Browser Size" rule for 90% of internet users, meaning this is the portion of your website that 90% of the average internet users will see the first time they visit your site.

On most of my sites this portion is also my best area of Heat Map concentration. The area that will either keep the visitors interest to visit deeper or not. Google Labs has a great site that you can see all of the percentages of your own "browser size" as related to your site here... Browser Size

More useful info here... http://browsersize.googlelabs.com/static/about-browser-size.html

Any of you guys focus on this type of site optimization?
____
____

Last edited:

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool! Thanks guru! Interesting what the results are.

I have, for the past several years geared towards 1024x768, which is what most browsers seem to be running (at the lowest resolution). Actually, it's probably been 4 years running doing websites at that resolution. :) When I first started with it, I was worried because 800x600 was still pretty typical.

MarkConner

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the "browser size" link, it is really useful.

I have actually never paid too much attention to the resolution. But then again, I'm a complete beginner (been at this for just a bit over a month). I guess it's as good a time to star as any, especially with such a nice 'tool' as googlelabs to motivate me :)

lucasworkshop

Banned
Reaction score
I have, for the past several years geared towards 1024x768, which is what most browsers seem to be running (at the lowest resolution). Actually, it's probably been 4 years running doing websites at that resolution. :) When I first started with it, I was worried because 800x600 was still pretty typical.

and now the 1024x768 falls into history slowely again... still 50% of users that I recive on my sites use 1024x768 but soon it will desapear due to widescreen starting to be used as normal... especialy on laptops which more and more people are using and the number will raise...

so I think it is better to make a wider website in terms of width with more columns ...

I dream about a website without scroll lol

WCD Admin

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
We try to design our pages so they adjust dynamically using percentages instead of pixels. We use CSS to make things fit on pretty much any size monitor. Sometimes thing looks really funny on my widescreen or at 800x600 because the contrast in size is so great, but at least the entire site is visible to all and works on all monitors.

Of course vertically its a different story (in regards to keeping action items above the fold) So we go for a horizontal top navigation bar to keep all the important stuff visible.

warrichpk

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
you are right. start making wider websites. it will be good for you.

and now the 1024x768 falls into history slowely again... still 50% of users that I recive on my sites use 1024x768 but soon it will desapear due to widescreen starting to be used as normal... especialy on laptops which more and more people are using and the number will raise...

so I think it is better to make a wider website in terms of width with more columns ...

I dream about a website without scroll lol