RSS Feeds and i frames

Elliott

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Seeing as we work predominantly with affiliates it would seem illogical not to get your opinion on different types of marketing tools such as RSS Feeds or i frames, what's your thoughts on using feeds as a equivalent or extra to banner creative?

RSS feeds and i frames are already established as a marketing tool, however are they being used to there full potential? what type of feeds work for you? Progressive Feeds, Recent Winner Feeds....

Your thoughts would be fully appreciated.

Respectfully
Elliott

dominique

Certification Member
Reaction score
I like progressives feeds and new promo feeds...

I also like free games to put on my site...

Engineer

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can use winner feeds for sure. ;)

Can you expand on what you mean by i-frames? If you mean a Flash game that we can embed in an i-frame on our sites, then yes, I can definitely use that, too.

Renee

Affiliate Program Representative
Reaction score
Seeing as we work predominantly with affiliates it would seem illogical not to get your opinion on different types of marketing tools such as RSS Feeds or i frames, what's your thoughts on using feeds as a equivalent or extra to banner creative?

RSS feeds and i frames are already established as a marketing tool, however are they being used to there full potential? what type of feeds work for you? Progressive Feeds, Recent Winner Feeds....

Your thoughts would be fully appreciated.

Respectfully
Elliott

Hey mate

As a fellow aff manager I would advise highly against the use of iframes. In fact I would suggest that you do not allow anyone to use them in conjunction with your tools too. They can be used for some pretty malicious things and I would hate to see you guys get screwed because of them.

Just my 2 cents.

Re RSS feeds though, they are very popular and I think you'll find that a lot of affiliates will use them :)

Good luck!

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Renee is 100% correct. iFrames are not a good thing (IMO).

RSS Feeds, including winner and jackpot feeds are a very good idea. In fact, I have several jackpot sites that I would like progressive feeds for.

WCD Admin

Reaction score
I like the idea of all of the above RSS feeds. -- but what I really want are decent affiliate stats there - right now I'm confused as to what's going on there.

Elliott

Reaction score
Feeds

Thanks for getting involved, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Firstly I frames- I've used this type of marketing tool before in a space that would normally be taken up by a 468x60 banner and had no problems nor did the webmasters that used the iframes onsite. After reading comments in this thread I've spoken to a few programmers regarding how secure these are, it would seem that there could only be a problem if an attempt to hack the hosts server was successful. The chances of this happening is minimal to say the least.

Re- Rss Feeds, It goes without saying that giving affiliates the ability to use various feeds is advantageous for both parties.:)

So far in this thread we've got

Promo feeds
Progressive Feeds
Jackpot Feeds

Are there any other type of feeds you would like to use? If you have any suggestions, please pop them on a reply here.

Thanks again for posting.:)

Regards
Elliott

sipka

Reaction score
I'm loving every promotional tool that makes my life easier.

I really like mini games that I can insert into my website, players can use it, and they love it, and for me these games convert very well.

Jackpot tickers, winner feeds, promotional rss, date based promos, I won't say no to any of them ;D

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to clarify my statement :)

iFrames themselves are not necessarily bad. Browsers seem to work differently with iFrames, so I do not use them at all for that reason.

RSS feeds are so easy to work with lately... they are pretty much what I would use from a program. An iFrame (for me) just wouldn't be a consideration.

Renee

Affiliate Program Representative
Reaction score
It depends how the iframe is used, and yes, they can be used for malicious intent without "hacking" into the server - which is why we don't allow them at all (from past experience)..

Not to mention that most virus protection programs will tell you that the iframe is malicious every time. The last thing you want is the players on the affiliate sites being scared off by the virus scanner popping up saying "This site contains something that may harm your computer"..

Just my 2 cents.