Operator in Malta wont pay without VAT?

GamblingTrafficer

Reaction score
Hey,

I signed-up and sent a few Swedish FTD's to a Maltese iGaming company. Now when I sent my invoice, they tell me that they require VAT due legal reasons. I never had this issue before with other iGaming companies in Malta.

Is this really a legal requirement? or is this their business model?

What are your experiances?

melcb

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you based in Malta?

preditor

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I am not really based anywhere. No company registrated. I personally live in both Sweden and Malta. Why do you wonder?

Well, for a start, you need a company to send invoices.
If you dont have a company, you dont have a VAT number.

Setting up a Swedish company, costs 25 000 SEK that you can use for the companys computers etc. after its registered. To get a VAT number, you register for taxes (moms) in Sweden, then you add SE before your company reg number, remove the "-" before the 4 last digits and finaly add 01 to the end of it. Thats your VAT number.

When you invoice, you always have to indicate that you have VAT in your invoice and you also report all your numbers to Skatteverket, in something called "periodisk redovisning av moms".

Tax / VAT is 0% inside EU but only if you are based outside the contry you are invoicing.
Based in Sweden - Invoicing Malta = VAT 0%
Based in Malta - Invoicing Malta = You will need to pay taxes in Malta

Biti

Reaction score
You can have a VAT number without having a company in most countries and some countries have companies that are without VAT.

Personally I avoid companies without a VAT number, because it's a bureaucratic hassle here.

Tax is not 0% within the UK, but reverse charged VAT applies.

preditor

Reaction score
Yeah, the VAT is kind of just a fictive number, that dont apply to be payd by any part (Invoicing Malta from Sweden). Its just a time consuming thing to report all thease to the tax buroe every month (some cases every 3m) knowing that its impossible for them to controll thease.

Companies without VAT im also awoiding, specually if their inside EU, however i use a great tool to help me find VAT`s if im not proveeded with them: VAT (Value Added Tax) ID - Numbers Search Lookup (vat-search.eu)