Help the victims of the Haiti earthquake and take a tax deduction

S

Steve S

I was not sure where to post this:

If you are currently figuring your 2009 taxes and find you could use another deduction to help lower your tax obligation, then why not help the victims of the Haiti earthquake and help yourself at the same time.

A new law was enacted after all of the 2009 tax forms had already been printed. This law allows you to take a 2009 tax deduction for a charitable contribution to the victims of the Haiti earthquake, provided you make the contribution by March 1, 2010. So, you have two weeks to help yourself and others as well. We all know how they have suffered.

You can check this out for yourselves by going to the IRS website at irs.gov and searching for publication 17 under publications. Or go put the www in front of irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf. I wanted to post a link directly to it, but I have not yet made enough posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, Steve. Since I know you are a CPA, I will certainly take a hard look at this and ask my current CPA how this will affect my return (which is sitting, completed in his office).

Thanks for the great info!