Google's reaction if previous and new domain owner's content differs?

gm2891

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I finally decided to pay attention to my girlfriend... and brought her into the gambling thing too. <lol>

I bought a starter plan on Siteground, installed WP and added Elementor + a few essential plugins that I use on my sites.
So now she sits in front of her laptop, plays around with all the basic things, and learns the psychology of fonts, colour, and types of call to action.

She's completely useless at the moment with the SEO and technical part, but for a minute, she doesn't have to know it because I'll be doing it myself. However, she learns very fast and managed to put something together, which for the beginning is fine:

2B1zdG.jpg

I've also bought a domain with its homepage still indexed in Google and it has a quite few excellent dofollow backlinks from high authority sites of DR75-80+.

I also have a plan made for the site and internal linking structure and plan to pour in 100K words of original content in one go, written by a few writing agencies. If everything goes smoothly, the site should take off like a jet plane.

But there may be a problem...

The content used to be on this domain is not 100% related to gambling; it's more about cartoons and gaming,
but the domain name fits bang on for gambling too, plus it's super attractive and memorable.

I purchased this domain from seo.domains, see the videos below; they quite informative if anyone wants to buy a domain.

So, what do you guys think will be Google's reaction to realizing that the new content differs from the old one?
I have my own thoughts but would like to hear what others have to say. Thanks a lot!

PROFRBcom

Rakeback affiliate and professional poker player.
Reaction score
I have my doubts about how well this will work.

However, I have never actually witnessed someone slap 100k words of content on a previously existing domain and share results, so... please share, would love to see how well this works for you (I'll never do it lol, I would rather buy existing gambling portals, but academically I find it very interesting)!

gm2891

Reaction score
I have my doubts about how well this will work.

However, I have never actually witnessed someone slap 100k words of content on a previously existing domain and share results, so... please share, would love to see how well this works for you (I'll never do it lol, I would rather buy existing gambling portals, but academically I find it very interesting)!

I Understand.
The reason that I didn't look for a domain with proper gambling existing content because cheap ones are usually spammed to death.

You can often see those link and site sellers with artificially boosted DA figures to make them look more attractive to buyers. They have also a quite few pages on their sites and from the first impression everything seems to look good, but when you start digging deeper you realize that their sites rank only for 2-3 keyword somewhere in 30-50 positions and consequently have zero traffic.

To buy a decent domain with history and backlink profile would cost tons of money, plus this guy in the videos above clearly said that they can catch a domain and sell it to gambling guys for 10x of the original price.

To compete in drop catching with them for an individual is absolutely no chance because they use custom-built tools for this purpose.

So, that's why I decided to try to go a different route and see how it goes.

Created a bit of content yesterday and my girlfriend submitted the homepage to indexing. I wanna see what other backlinks will start popping up in GSC apart from those that Ahrefs is able to see.

Also, yesterday spent all evening checking anchors and sites linking to the domain.

LOL... Well, a quiet few of them I'll have to get rid of ASAP because there are Micky Mouse, Donald Duck, Tom and Jerry and etc involved.

Will keep the thread updated in case of anything significant.:)

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
LOL... Well, a quiet few of them I'll have to get rid of ASAP because there are Micky Mouse, Donald Duck, Tom and Jerry and etc involved.
Write an article about Disney slots (even if they don't exist) and redirect those links to said page.

Then use that link juice from that page for internal linking.

Win/Win

gm2891

Reaction score
Write an article about Disney slots (even if they don't exist) and redirect those links to said page.

Then use that link juice from that page for internal linking.

Win/Win

Too late they exist.
"Disney-Slots Free With Bonus" someone already got LOL

gm2891

Reaction score
But on a serious note, I won't do dodgy things as I'm looking for the results through the long term.

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
"Disney-Slots Free With Bonus" someone already got LOL
I wouldn't call that a website really. It totally comes off as useless spam.

But on a serious note, I won't do dodgy things as I'm looking for the results through the long term.
You are repurposing an existing website NOT about gambling to something about gambling. And my suggestion to use your existing incoming anchor links is "dodgy"?

Meh.

You are leaving money on the table and wasting link juice IMHO.

gm2891

Reaction score
You are repurposing an existing website NOT about gambling to something about gambling. And my suggestion to use your existing incoming anchor links is "dodgy"?

Meh.

You are leaving money on the table and wasting link juice IMHO.
As i said earlier, the domain's name fits really good for gambling too and that's why my idea is to swap its former content's purpose as smooth as possible to the new one. I'm happy to remove any pointing links to it as long as it benefits me. Of course, I'll level some, but only those that make sense to be there.

If it'd done right, and once the new content is there, Google can easily throw it on the 2nd page right away and let it grow.

If it's done wrong, Google can throw the site up there too, but in a few days time to kick it out and make it never rank for anything.

Sorry, but regarding your suggestion, seems like i didn't understand you completely...
However, I'm absolutely not going to mention Donald Duck on the site haha

gm2891

Reaction score
PROFRB, if you don't mind you can send me DM about the linking and I'll share the site name with you. I don't really wanna share it in public, there are a lot of losers around that hunting for fresh content.

Alchemist

User-Requested Account Closure
Reaction score
@gm2891 nice post! Google will do the job don't worry about this. I'm pretty sure it will rank for your KW's. First thing for ranking are the links (external) and since you have some good ones, the domain rating should be strong. Google will pick up your content and rank it for the keywords you target.

NDG

Reaction score
If the domain is a good fit for the industry with some high quality backlinks, then it's worth a shot. Look at the backlinks and what they were pointing to before (cartoons, video games, etc) and then just try to shape the site with some gambling content that relates to the linked content. You said that this is a site that your girlfriend will develop, so it's not a bad idea for a new project to see how it goes.

gm2891

Reaction score
If the domain is a good fit for the industry with some high quality backlinks, then it's worth a shot. Look at the backlinks and what they were pointing to before (cartoons, video games, etc) and then just try to shape the site with some gambling content that relates to the linked content. You said that this is a site that your girlfriend will develop, so it's not a bad idea for a new project to see how it goes.

It looks like there used to be everything about the Cow and Chicken subject, etc., starting from 2013 till November 2018, when its previous owner put it for sale. Seems like he/she ware running it without any commercial purpose, basically just as a hobby.

0EJGcb.jpg

Just noticed another funny thing. WHOIS updated the owner's name but forgot about the date. So now it says that my GF registered this domain in 2018. Don't know if it can benefit us in any way, but let it be.

Checked today with Ahrefs and Semrush for all backlinks and anchors to write them all down and then separate the wheat from the chaff...
There are quite a few that won't fit gambling but are also naked URLs that I can leave. I wanna see what links will start showing up on GSC and then collect them together with the ones from Ahrefs/Semrush and Disavow the whole bunch of useless ones.

I saw today some people (bad people) in Austria and Switzerland promoting gambling content on .church domains and sitting in the top 10 pfff.

So. I guess Google won't mind if there was Mickey Mouse's footprint on my site. Lol

Alchemist

User-Requested Account Closure
Reaction score
Just noticed another funny thing. WHOIS updated the owner's name but forgot about the date. So now it says that my GF registered this domain in 2018. Don't know if it can benefit us in any way, but let it be.

I think WHOIS will tell you when the domain was first registered, it doesn't matter if the owner changes during this time.

I saw today some people (bad people) in Austria and Switzerland promoting gambling content on .church domains and sitting in the top 10 pfff.

Haha! This is funny yet bad.

So. I guess Google won't mind if there was Mickey Mouse's footprint on my site. Lol

I think so too! Some Mickey should not affect your job, but yes it's a good idea to disavow these links. Especially the anchors Mickey, Cartoons, Donald Duck etc.