Google Helpful Content Update

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
I stopped spending my life worrying about Google and their alog updates.

If one's content is unique, relevant and interesting, and your supplying fresh updates, then your site shouldn't have to run the gauntlet every time G throws out another alog update.

G can't seem to sort out SE spam, even though they're supposed to be experts in their field.

I suppose with only the top 5 spots actually getting the majority of traffic, it's a lost race from the start. You get to spot #1, 2, 3, etc., etc., and some asshole either scraps your site, or pips you sideways with blackhat.

No thank you!

danieldan

Reaction score
I, for one, did not feel any negative effects. Traffic is increasing. However, there is still a lot of junk in the search engine that occupies good positions, hopefully they will disappear from the ranking.

And as for updates and what actions to take. I personally am not an SEO expert, so I always do the same thing, I try to make the content useful, well written for the user but also with all good SEO practices. Also, as much as possible I try to make the site fairly optimized, light images, etc. but also without overdoing it. Well, and from time to time it's nice to get/buy some links.

So exactly what one has always done for years. In fact, I have no idea how I could otherwise counteract search engine updates that downgrade a site.

AussieDave's approach to the topic is great. I've been wanting one too, the only problem is that basically almost all traffic is from Google so I'm (like probably the vast majority) dependent on that traffic. When I started I wanted to diversify my traffic to not be dependent on google however it is going poorly. The only thing I've done so far is to enable Subscriptions to build a mailing list.

Dave - you've been in the industry a long time, so I suspect you already have a large player base and lower google rankings and less traffic is enough to sustain affiliate accounts. Am I wrong and you are getting traffic to your site from outside the search engines and from there you are not as concerned about Google?

Frank

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Every good site i know of got hit. HCU didn't just penalise sites but also opened up a gatelway to low quality AI and massive spam, there hasn't been any kind of update for a whle so my guess is something will come soon. Since the HCU it's given my time to build a new site which is gaining traction fast.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Dave - you've been in the industry a long time, so I suspect you already have a large player base and lower google rankings and less traffic is enough to sustain affiliate accounts. Am I wrong and you are getting traffic to your site from outside the search engines and from there you are not as concerned about Google?

FYI... DOCH is only a watchdog site, with zero marketing. It's not my main site.

It doesn't matter if you generate slices of bread or lots of crumbs, each of these will make a loaf of bread. I suppose longevity does help. Though, everyone has to start some place, some where ;)

Yes I get traffic from G but also other SE's too. I've always focused on long-tails. Year after year, decade after decade, they've provided the BEST bang for my buck!

Hence why I stopped concerning myself with all the BS Google causes...