A Brief Industry History

footballaffiliate

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I’ve worked on both the operator and affiliate side of the industry. Here are my ramblings

Over the past two decades I’ve seen thousands of affiliates being robbed, ripped off and frankly defrauded by betting operators. Forums like this still see daily posts of people being shut down, not paid, skimmed and shaved, but why are we still here? Here’s my humble view on how we got here and where we go from here

Back in the early days affiliate competition was lower, operator competition was lower, and regulations barely existed. Operators would go to conferences offering all sorts of incentives to get affiliates, and traffic coming to them. It was like the wild west. People made fortunes.

As the web matured we had bigger affiliates enter the market and consolidation. We had the buying boom a few years ago where companies like Catena just bought everything in sight, Better Collective just kept leveraging funds to buy more and more. Some of these companies frankly failed, others may fail in the future by running cost heavy operations and small profit margins. The gambling industry is fragile. Tomorrow you can lose a large percentage of your revenue through new laws, taxes, or just affiliate programs disappearing. The point is though, super affiliates started leveraging their power on operators.

With these larger affiliate companies evolving we got operators wanting more and more FTDs. No longer were they that interested in one-man-band affiliate generating 10 good FTDs per month. The industry is driven on volume, not value. It should be a healthy mix of both.

So, we found that in order to supply volume, affiliates became more spammy in promoting however they could, and the big affiliates asked for unsustainable deals like $2000 CPAs in the USA and massive fixed fees for advertising space during big events. The industry started to implode at this point. All of a sudden operators started getting fined for bad practice, SkyBet used this as an excuse to shut down their program, and other programs implemented tough rules on marketing.

At this point some operators decided that having many small affiliates was just a liability – many people who could break advertising rules, and many people to manage (some programs have 200,000 affiliates!). Operators found reason to close affiliates off, some stopped taking on new affiliates, and terms and conditions got more strict, and applied on people (minimum quotas etc).

Moving to post-COVID – the world economy is now struggling. The betting industry is struggling. The USA hasn’t turned out to be what it was meant to be. European markets have become highlight regulated and profit margins have died. South America is being regulated, which will come with more taxes.

Operators and big affiliates are now finding that they may be overweight in terms of costs. Kindred pulled out of the USA recently, now laying off staff. 888’s share price has lost 75% from its peak, Entain is a third of it’s 2021 value, Better Collective’s share price lost 20% in a day when they said that US revenues had stuttered. Some of these companies are trading on 20x P/E ratios, when we’re told that smaller affiliates are bought out for just 6x earnings (max). The industry is very bloated (and new markets overhyped), profits are drying up in multiple markets, and there are strong headwinds ahead.

This scenario has amplified each operator’s need for customers. Affiliate programs are desperately shutting down smaller affiliates to “save” (steal) on costs. Betsson, Kindred, you name it. They’re desperately turning to media buyers to deliver them tens of thousands of customers per month, but finding that these media buyers are now charging them so much that there is no business case for buying such bulk, trash value players delivered by media buyers. I know of many operator colleagues who have sunk tens of thousands of dollars into media deals, to get very little in return. In one example, and operator spent $30,000 in fixed fee and got just 3 FTDs! (yet they rip off the small affiliates for not delivering a minimum quota)

The future? There will be more operator consolidation. Playtech are looking at buying 888 for a start. Entain is going to struggle, as are many others. Those operators that sunk way too much money into the US market may start to wind it down as they realise the US market is now dominated by a handful of key players who got a foothold in the market.

What comes out of this bloodbath may well be fewer, stronger companies. They are already getting wiser on throwing big bucks at media companies like Clever Advertising, who can deliver poor customer value at times. Question is, will some operators return to valuing REAL affiliates who run real websites and produce high quality organic traffic. Those operators that have a healthy mix of media buying and organic affiliates are likely to do better than those that are desperately spending money on volume advertising in the hope they can keep their heads above water

Final thoughts - the industry is at a turning point for affiliates and operators. It could go a number of ways. Hopefully the smaller affiliate side is still valued in the future. Perhaps the industry will go the way of the travel, money, or dating industries - small affiliates extinct, and just a few mega affiliates delivering the traffic. Those operators who have run out of ideas now, will struggle. Those who have retreated from emerging markets to save on costs, and retreated to their "safe" regulated European markets will likely have to shrink to accomodate lower margins going forward. Those affiliates and operators who take a chance on emerging markets will succeed.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
@footballaffiliate - excellent, well written article, thank you.

Those affiliates and operators who take a chance on emerging markets will succeed.

Agree. This gig is always about looking outside the square. If one can do this, it's 1/2 the problem solved ;)

footballaffiliate

Reaction score

Agree. This gig is always about looking outside the square. If one can do this, it's 1/2 the problem solved ;)
Thanks for the thanks :) Just a lot of stuff on my mind and feel that we are coming to another turning point in this industry.

Perhaps the only way to make money for smaller affiliates is to look outside the box and pick up revenues where and when you can. I feel that historical revenues at the big operators are at risk for smaller affiliates as these operators get desperate to keep their profit margins reasonable. They won't want to work with "small" in the future.

Small used to be some one man band delivering 10 FTDs per month. Small these days for some operators is an affiliate who delivers less than 1000 FTDs per month. Just the other day I had an operator want to baseline a rev share on 1000 FTDs. What they've done is lost track of organic affiliates vs big media buyers (to their peril in my opinion). A smaller affiliate's 100 FTDs can equal the same value as a media buyer's 1000 FTDs. Frustrating many operators don't want to understand this. They do of course understand it. They don't want to implement it. Head in the sand attitude, and having seen this in other industries, it's a sign that those who do this end up failing.

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
Also forgot to note that I feel that sometimes it's the smaller affiliates who have partly fuelled the media buyers by selling out space at terrible CPA rates to these buyers. Don't do it. If a media buyer offers you $x CPA, I guarantee at a minimum you'll be getting only 20% of the value of your traffic, probably 10%. I've done these deals as an operator myself, and i've compared revenue share stats to CPAs offered by the likes of Clever Advertising. For me the CPM rates offered by such media buyers represent only 10% of the value you get by sticking it out on revneue share.

Media buyers will give you the same pitch too - "we've got a budget of $3000 that we can send via PayPal" to entice people into selling out their space on the cheap. Do this and you fuel the operators to just buy more and more from media buyers, not you.

footballaffiliate

Reaction score

Sorry to hear about your issues with Rewards too. Definitely won't be touching this program now. If anything, when I've been defrauded in the past it's some comfort to hear that my experience takes business away from these scammers.

Hopefully they'll get even more comeback when you report them to the tax authorities in Aus/NZ

If more affiliates called out the fraud and punished those for acting badly then we might have an industry built more on fairness, and pressure that if an operator steps out of line there are consequences. I'm sure they wouldn't act the same if their affiliate was Better Collective, Clever Advertising, or Catena Media. No they wouldn't, because they risk losing too much traffic, and secondly risk their reputation with a mega-affiliate and its friends.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues with Rewards too. Definitely won't be touching this program now. If anything, when I've been defrauded in the past it's some comfort to hear that my experience takes business away from these scammers.

Hopefully they'll get even more comeback when you report them to the tax authorities in Aus/NZ

If more affiliates called out the fraud and punished those for acting badly then we might have an industry built more on fairness, and pressure that if an operator steps out of line there are consequences. I'm sure they wouldn't act the same if their affiliate was Better Collective, Clever Advertising, or Catena Media. No they wouldn't, because they risk losing too much traffic, and secondly risk their reputation with a mega-affiliate and its friends.

Thank you, appreciated.

The GPWA was once a place which put their affiliate members 1'st. That was when Cindy owned it. However, some software providers/operators didn't like the influence/power the GPWA had, so skullduggery was planned, and certain industry identities set about dragging Cindy's name and founders thru the mud.

Didn't take long to cause in-house fighting, and the rest is history.

Michael C. purchased it in circa 2007 for $100K I believe. It was never the same place again.

I'm an industry old timer, with no family to support. It's just my lady and I. I've got more than we need, so we'll be OK. However, it's not really about the money, this fight that I'm now taking on. Instead, it's about sticking up for the little-people, the small affiliates, who, can't take the crooks to court.

Why would a company based in Sydney, use Israeli Lawyers, to address legal concerns with an AU citizen? It makes about as much sense as hiring a monkey to be the CEO of Qantas. IMHO they did it because hiring an Australian Lawyer, would require too many hard-questions to be answered. Anyway, with no legal sanctions in AU, those Israeli Lawyers have about as much legal jurisdiction in AU as the butcher, baker and candle stick maker :D

When is having enough money, enough? Seems Jimmy, the owner of RA/CR/ITSM et al, has more than enough, but instead of being happy with that, he wants to steal from the little people. Well, as long as I've got life in these veins, I'm going to stand against this tyranny.

Last edited:

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
Thank you, appreciated.

The GPWA was once a place which put their affiliate members 1'st. That was when Cindy owned it. However, some software providers/operators didn't like the influence/power the GPWA had, so skullduggery was planned, and certain industry identities set about dragging Cindy's name and founders thru the mud.

Didn't take long to cause in-house fighting, and the rest is history.

Michael C. purchased it in circa 2007 for $100K I believe. It was never the same place again.

I'm an industry old timer, with no family to support. It's just my lady and I. I've got more than we need, so we'll be OK. However, it's not really about the money, this fight that I'm now taking on. Instead, it's about sticking up for the little-people, the small affiliates, who, can't take the crooks to court.

Why would a company based in Sydney, use Israeli Lawyers, to address legal concerns with an AU citizen? It makes about as much sense as hiring a monkey to be the CEO of Qantas. IMHO they did it because hiring an Australian Lawyer, would require too many hard-questions to be answered. Anyway, with no legal sanctions in AU, those Israeli Lawyers have about as much legal jurisdiction in AU as the butcher, baker and candle stick maker :D

When is having enough money, enough? Seems Jimmy, the owner of RA/CR/ITSM et al, has more than enough, but instead of being happy with that, he wants to steal from the little people. Well, as long as I've got life in these veins, I'm going to stand against this tyranny.
Was unaware RA were Israeli backed. My first question when I join an affiliate program is usually - Where are you based? Who owns the company? Corruption associated with some countries, licensing bodies and other factors goes a long way to sussing out whether a program is a starter or not.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Was unaware RA were Israeli backed.

They're not as far as I'm aware.

I pretty much know who is who in the zoo. But I still always run checks. It's the only way to go!

I've made some pretty damning blog posts, backed with mountains of factual proof, against RA/CR and their crooked (stealing) ways, over the years. These posts are here on AGD, GPWA and DOCH. Never a peep, warning or threat from RA about closing my account because of these posts.

In either late Oct or early Nov 2023 at the GPWA, I made a comment about Keith (a non AM GPWA account holder). Instead of simply posting a post saying: We're all fine here in Israel; words to that affect. He posted this monstrosity of a full width banner, which frankly, was nothing more than a tool of propaganda. https://www.gpwa.org/forum/safe-sound-265428.html

AussieDave Said:
for the record, I'm not antisemitic.

The current Israeli-Palestinian status quo began following Israeli military occupation of the West Bank and Gaza in the 1967 Six-Day War, known as the Palestinian territories.

However, one thing I can't shake... Maybe I'm missing something here but I can not for the life of me understand how a race of people, who, were subjected to such cruelties and the Holocaust, could have no issue with exterminating the Palestinians? Nazis wanted to exterminate Jewish people.

See the irony!

That went unanswered. A few posts later the thread was closed down.

Coincidence but it's stranger than fiction that I then receive an email from Anthony (GPWA) advising someone had sent them a legal notice. Of course no mention of whom. On Tuesday this week, I received that Israeli Lawyer's letter, dated 21'th Nov 2023. They'd apparently sent me a hard copy via registered mail. I have clearly my PO BOX yet so must be still there...lol

Anyway, I make comment to the GPWA Israeli thread and my RA account is terminated. Informed of this fact by and Israeli based lawyer... Make of that what you will. RA/CR/ITSM are all Microgaming. The Moshal's own 51% of MGS AFAIK. Their base is in both Durban and Tel Aviv.

Reiterating, not a peep, literally 12+ years of calling RA/CR out publicaly. However, I make a comment about a Israeli propaganda banner, which didn't belong on the GPWA, and my RA account is terminated... Yeah right!

Maybe Jimmy is Israeli and changed his name to sound more Aussie, IDK :rolleyes:

Last edited:

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
They're not as far as I'm aware.

I pretty much know who is who in the zoo. But I still always run checks. It's the only way to go!

I've made some pretty damning blog posts, backed with mountains of factual proof, against RA/CR and their crooked (stealing) ways, over the years. These posts are here on AGD, GPWA and DOCH. Never a peep, warning or threat from RA about closing my account because of these posts.

In either late Oct or early Nov 2023 at the GPWA, I made a comment about Keith (a non AM GPWA account holder). Instead of simply posting a post saying: We're all fine here in Israel; words to that affect. He posted this monstrosity of a full width banner, which frankly, was nothing more than a tool of propaganda. https://www.gpwa.org/forum/safe-sound-265428.html

That went unanswered. A few posts later the thread was closed down.

Coincidence but it's stranger than fiction that I then receive an email from Anthony (GPWA) advising someone had sent them a legal notice. Of course no mention of whom. On Tuesday this week, I received that Israeli Lawyer's letter, dated 21'th Nov 2023. They'd apparently sent me a hard copy via registered mail. I have clearly my PO BOX yet so must be still there...lol

Anyway, I make comment to the GPWA Israeli thread and my RA account is terminated. Informed of this fact by and Israeli based lawyer... Make of that what you will. RA/CR/ITSM are all Microgaming. The Moshal's own 51% of MGS AFAIK. Their base is in both Durban and Tel Aviv.

Reiterating, not a peep, literally 12+ years of calling RA/CR out publicaly. However, I make a comment about a Israeli propaganda banner, which didn't belong on the GPWA, and my RA account is terminated... Yeah right!

Maybe Jimmy is Israeli and changed his name to sound more Aussie, IDK :rolleyes:
This is insane. Just goes to show why people are reluctant to speak on forums. I've seen a lot of things less offensive taken down from the GPWA, but that's allowed. Even now, I dare not express my full opinion for risk of being hounded!

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
For the record, yes I do discriminate with who my business works with based on -

Owners behind the company
Past history and forum feedback from other affiliates
Whether I like you when I meet you

As a business you're free to work with whoever you want. All of the above factors should give any affiliate a reasonable checklist that will help protect themselves from future earnings losses/stealing/fraud.

robjmiller84

Reaction score
I’ve worked on both the operator and affiliate side of the industry. Here are my ramblings

Over the past two decades I’ve seen thousands of affiliates being robbed, ripped off and frankly defrauded by betting operators. Forums like this still see daily posts of people being shut down, not paid, skimmed and shaved, but why are we still here? Here’s my humble view on how we got here and where we go from here

Back in the early days affiliate competition was lower, operator competition was lower, and regulations barely existed. Operators would go to conferences offering all sorts of incentives to get affiliates, and traffic coming to them. It was like the wild west. People made fortunes.

As the web matured we had bigger affiliates enter the market and consolidation. We had the buying boom a few years ago where companies like Catena just bought everything in sight, Better Collective just kept leveraging funds to buy more and more. Some of these companies frankly failed, others may fail in the future by running cost heavy operations and small profit margins. The gambling industry is fragile. Tomorrow you can lose a large percentage of your revenue through new laws, taxes, or just affiliate programs disappearing. The point is though, super affiliates started leveraging their power on operators.

With these larger affiliate companies evolving we got operators wanting more and more FTDs. No longer were they that interested in one-man-band affiliate generating 10 good FTDs per month. The industry is driven on volume, not value. It should be a healthy mix of both.

So, we found that in order to supply volume, affiliates became more spammy in promoting however they could, and the big affiliates asked for unsustainable deals like $2000 CPAs in the USA and massive fixed fees for advertising space during big events. The industry started to implode at this point. All of a sudden operators started getting fined for bad practice, SkyBet used this as an excuse to shut down their program, and other programs implemented tough rules on marketing.

At this point some operators decided that having many small affiliates was just a liability – many people who could break advertising rules, and many people to manage (some programs have 200,000 affiliates!). Operators found reason to close affiliates off, some stopped taking on new affiliates, and terms and conditions got more strict, and applied on people (minimum quotas etc).

Moving to post-COVID – the world economy is now struggling. The betting industry is struggling. The USA hasn’t turned out to be what it was meant to be. European markets have become highlight regulated and profit margins have died. South America is being regulated, which will come with more taxes.

Operators and big affiliates are now finding that they may be overweight in terms of costs. Kindred pulled out of the USA recently, now laying off staff. 888’s share price has lost 75% from its peak, Entain is a third of it’s 2021 value, Better Collective’s share price lost 20% in a day when they said that US revenues had stuttered. Some of these companies are trading on 20x P/E ratios, when we’re told that smaller affiliates are bought out for just 6x earnings (max). The industry is very bloated (and new markets overhyped), profits are drying up in multiple markets, and there are strong headwinds ahead.

This scenario has amplified each operator’s need for customers. Affiliate programs are desperately shutting down smaller affiliates to “save” (steal) on costs. Betsson, Kindred, you name it. They’re desperately turning to media buyers to deliver them tens of thousands of customers per month, but finding that these media buyers are now charging them so much that there is no business case for buying such bulk, trash value players delivered by media buyers. I know of many operator colleagues who have sunk tens of thousands of dollars into media deals, to get very little in return. In one example, and operator spent $30,000 in fixed fee and got just 3 FTDs! (yet they rip off the small affiliates for not delivering a minimum quota)

The future? There will be more operator consolidation. Playtech are looking at buying 888 for a start. Entain is going to struggle, as are many others. Those operators that sunk way too much money into the US market may start to wind it down as they realise the US market is now dominated by a handful of key players who got a foothold in the market.

What comes out of this bloodbath may well be fewer, stronger companies. They are already getting wiser on throwing big bucks at media companies like Clever Advertising, who can deliver poor customer value at times. Question is, will some operators return to valuing REAL affiliates who run real websites and produce high quality organic traffic. Those operators that have a healthy mix of media buying and organic affiliates are likely to do better than those that are desperately spending money on volume advertising in the hope they can keep their heads above water

Final thoughts - the industry is at a turning point for affiliates and operators. It could go a number of ways. Hopefully the smaller affiliate side is still valued in the future. Perhaps the industry will go the way of the travel, money, or dating industries - small affiliates extinct, and just a few mega affiliates delivering the traffic. Those operators who have run out of ideas now, will struggle. Those who have retreated from emerging markets to save on costs, and retreated to their "safe" regulated European markets will likely have to shrink to accomodate lower margins going forward. Those affiliates and operators who take a chance on emerging markets will succeed.
Thank you for sharing your insights into the dynamic landscape of the affiliate and betting operator industry. Your observations provide a comprehensive overview of the challenges and transformations that have shaped the sector over the years. The shift towards consolidation, the impact of regulatory changes, and the evolving strategies of both affiliates and operators highlight the industry's resilience and adaptability.

The post-COVID scenario, coupled with economic struggles and changing market dynamics, indeed poses significant challenges. The emphasis on customer acquisition, the rising costs associated with media buying, and the potential for further operator consolidation reflect the industry's quest for sustainability amid a competitive and complex environment.

Your final thoughts on the industry's turning point and the possible scenarios that may unfold offer valuable perspectives for affiliates and operators alike. As the landscape continues to evolve, the balance between media buying and organic affiliate partnerships, along with strategic decisions on market focus, will likely play a pivotal role in determining the success of industry players.

In this transformative period, your reflections prompt consideration of the industry's future trajectory, emphasizing the importance of adaptability, wise investment choices, and a balanced approach to affiliate collaborations. Thank you for shedding light on these crucial aspects and contributing to a deeper understanding of the industry's current challenges and potential directions.

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
Awesome ChatGPT reply. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?
I was thinking EXACTLY the same. So obvious. No one writes that verbose by choice o_O

Expect it could be a fake account trying to build up a profile, to then act as a controlled opposition to people who post negative things against operators on this forum

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
I was thinking EXACTLY the same. So obvious. No one writes that verbose by choice o_O

Expect it could be a fake account trying to build up a profile, to then act as a controlled opposition to people who post negative things against operators on this forum
Perhaps some of AussieDave's new found "Israeli" friends

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Awesome ChatGPT reply. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

gpwa.org/member/robmiller84 | According to his bio, he's the "editor-in-chief and content manager at casinoHEX". Take from that what you will.

All his posts here have been very AI suspect. As I commented in another thread, seems like robbie is testing out CasinoHex's textual AI on AGD, before using it onsite.

Either way it's a load of dribble.

Personally I've blocked the fool!

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score