Net Neutrality

WCD Admin

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
BREAKING: Minutes ago, the FCC passed new rules -- written by corporations -- that will end Net Neutrality. For the first time in history, the U.S. government approved corporate censorship of the Internet, putting the future of online free speech at risk. Unbelievably, the person leading the charge was Obama appointee Julius Genachowski.

This also violates President Obama's campaign promise to protect Net Neutrality, but some media are reporting the corporate spin that this is a "Net Neutrality compromise." It's not -- there's no such thing as half a First Amendment. We need to set the record straight.

If you're on Twitter, please click to share this: BREAKING: @FCC breaks Obama promise - allows corporate censorship online. 3 things u need to know: bit.ly/eVKyWH

If you're on Facebook, click here to spread the word.
By sharing, you can help us spread the top 3 reasons the rules passed today are a giveaway to big corporations and break Obama's promise:

1. They enshrine different rules for wired and wireless Internet -- allowing big corporations to censor on your mobile phone
  2. They allow corporations to set up tollbooths online, stifling new innovators like the next YouTube who can't pay the fees the old, crusty corporations can pay
  3. For the first time, they embrace a "public Internet" for regular people vs. a "private Internet" with all the new innovations for corporations who pay more -- ending the Internet as we know it
A more detailed explanation is here. Please pass this email to your friends so they know not to believe the corporate spin.

And click here to share on Twitter and here to share on Facebook.

Thanks for being a bold progressive,
Jason Rosenbaum, Adam Green, Stephanie Taylor, and the PCCC team

lots0

Reaction score
The full text of the new rules has not even been released yet and won't be until all the questions the Republicans that voted against it have, are answered.

Most likely the full text will be released sometime after the first of the year.

The Liberal Democrats all voted for these new rules.

The Conservative Republicans all voted against them.

I am thinking that if the new rules were all about giving more power to big business the Republicans would NOT have voted against them.

WCD Admin

Reaction score
You are right about full text not being released but like most things in D.C. many people see this stuff anyway. Much of the text has been seen, previewed, leaked, etc - I suggest this interview: Obama Flip-Flop: FCC Vote Could End Net Neutrality

However Republicans often do NOT vote on what they feel is right but routinely vote against democrats to make Obama look like a failure and even suggested that this is their strategy from the very beginning. They wouldn't even vote for taking care of 9/11 first responders (which had NOTHING added into it at all, its a standalone bill) until John Stewart made them look like total ass#$holes, here: 9/11 First Responders React to the Senate Filibuster - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 12/16/10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central - it may have a chance now.

In the case of Net Neutrality, I hope the Republicans somehow stop this, but I doubt they will. From what I understand Republicans are pretty happy with this because of all the power that will go to the big tel-comm giants and ISPs, Verizon, ATT, Cox, etc... but are publicly opposing it to look like "the good guys" who tried to defend the internet.

Republicans are much better strategist than Democrats. That part, I agree. I'd also say there isn't that much difference between the two parties anymore. (other than their tact)

Hazo

Reaction score
I posted to my FB.

Thanks for the information.