What do you outsource (if anything)?

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Good question.. I've outsourced quite a bit over the years. At first I didn't outsource anything unless I was technically incapable, which rarely happens :)

Now I outsource due to time constraints and family life. Here is what I outsource more than anything in the order of outsourcing:

1. Graphics - I am marginal at graphics

2. Template Creation (HTML only), I design the layouts of all sites and outsource the HTML so that I can get good quality cross-browser code.

3. Coding - I have outsourced a lot of larger projects in the last year that are the backbone of my websites. It is a difficult task, though, as all coders are not created equal. I will also say that I find it challenging to write a design document that does not give away my 'secrets'. So - I typically have to write a document which connects to something besides what I am truly connecting to... (for example: If I were to be tracking slots, then I would have the programmer write to a database that tracks 'products' instead. All metrics would then be 'product-related' and not slot-related. Takes some work to reconfigure, but keeps others from taking my ideas and running their own websites with them)

4. Writing - I have recently hired the writer (ReneeK) that is a member here and am anxiously awaiting her finished reviews. It is a first for me to outsource this type of work.

Other than that... I guess I do nothing all day ;)

Janet

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
The only thing I've outsourced so far is writting.

I started by putting jobs up on scriptlance. I ended up with a writer from India, who wrote very well, but tended to pepper everything he wrote with spiritual references. ???

FictionNet

Reaction score
I've also used Renee for content writing. She's very good.

WCD Admin

Reaction score
At this point I outsource almost everything except for ad optimization. My father even does the accounting and gets paid. (although he is ready to quit)

Articles are the biggest.
Programming is next.
Graphics is last because it's fun.
But the programmer is better at graphics (damn!) so I am nearly out of the loop!

All and all, it's great because I can focus on marketing and direction of our sites. (however I have been building my house recently so I've fallen behind....)