WARNING - Affiliate sites are being hacked

Tovey

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
We just noticed that a hacker had hacked into one of our ISPs and changed some of our affiliate links to go to some of theirs. We will be contacting all programs who had traffic diverted to the hacker's affiliate links. Hopefully all programs will block any payments due to them.

So go and check all your links to be see if this hacker has targeted your sites, and make sure you check them on a regular basis.

pco

Reaction score
how were they able to get in? old plugins or other methods?

danniee

Reaction score
How does this manifest itself looking at the files?

Tovey

Reaction score
You would have to either look at the affiliate links themselves, or look at the date and time the file was last altered to see if you were the one who altered the file at that date and time (assuming the server date and time is the one used for the file dates/times and the server time itself can not be altered by an account at your level of permission).

Biti

Reaction score
how were they able to get in? old plugins or other methods?

He wrote about isp, so i think it has no link with old plugins.

Talking about plugins, I would anyone advice to avoid plugins. You never know who buys them or hacks them when the creator doesn't care about them anymore.

Even popular plugins like Yoast are hackfest sometimes or make errors.

pco

Reaction score
He wrote about isp, so i think it has no link with old plugins.

Talking about plugins, I would anyone advice to avoid plugins. You never know who buys them or hacks them when the creator doesn't care about them anymore.

Even popular plugins like Yoast are hackfest sometimes or make errors.

could be indeed. then the question would be, how did they hack into one of their ISPs. maybe we can all learn from it if we know what to check & protect ourselves.