US Online Gambling Regulation Hearing in Congress

lots0

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
A licensing program for anyone taking bets in America on the Internet would be established by a bill receiving a public hearing this afternoon before the House Financial Services committee.

Internet Gambling License Considered Today - Yahoo! News

This along with President Obama signing the Financial Reform today... Takes a very BIG step toward Online Gambling Regulation in the USA...

The clock has started ticking.. Anyone want to start a pool on when regulation will really take effect in the USA??

My pick is Jan 1, 2011... ;)

For more info on the hearing - they just went into recess.
Hearing| Financial Services Committee | U.S. House of Representatives

Last edited:

lots0

Reaction score
Is that going to be good or bad for US affiliates?

Opinion seems to be split on this issue.

I guess only time will tell.

My own opinion... US regulation will be good for players... Not so good for affiliates.

Vladi

Reaction score
I would be shocked by something as early as January. They are still at the talking stage, not voting on it. And with the amount of opposition to regulation as well as the mountain of FUD being flung around it could take years to sort out. Quoting from an article I just read:

HR2267 has so far attracted 69 co-sponsors, but timelines for a vote are shrinking as Congress is scheduled to adjourn for the year on October 8th, with a recess planned between August 9th and September 10th. Politicians will also be distracted by the mid-term elections, which take place in November.

I am yet to be convinced either way whether it will be good or bad for affiliates (though I lean more towards bad), but you can be sure it will be better for players and that to me is far more important.

lots0

Reaction score
The Internet Gambling Regulation, Consumer Protection and Enforcement Act (H.R. 2267) which was debated at a Congressional hearing this week is set to be amended or marked up by the House Financial Services Committee this next Tuesday.

Internet Gambling Bill To Get Mark-Up Tuesday | WebProNews

STRICT Regulation is on it's way...

belgamo

Reaction score
Well it better happen fas\t, cuz it seriously loks like the republicans are going to get back some seats if the economy doesn't turn. That would take the Democrats majority away and probably result in a split house and senate, making any bill have to go past the anti gambling republicans.