Stolen Content

ukpoker

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Hi all

As my site is quite new, I thought It may take a while before anything on my site would be seen let alone copied. So I thought I would check her first so you guys could just have a look at it for me, just so I am thinking this is correct.

This article is mine and was written by my article guy and is my copyright and I have not authorised anyone else to use it.

The page on my site is:

StilettoPoker – its more than just a game! | UKPoker.co

This now appears on:

Stiletto Poker Bonus and Review

It has the same layout and headings to the review, though a few words have changed.

See copyscape highlighted bits:

Copyscape Plagiarism Checker - View Content Comparison

As you can see from the source and found links (on copyscape) its pretty much the same, and also at the bottom of the there review says edited 3 days ago.

So, I assume my next move is to email him and demand he removes it?

Thanks

Scot

lots0

Reaction score
Welcome to the game... ;D

Copied content is a fact of life in this business.

To reduce the theft somewhat, try to limit access to known scraper bots.

Best way to combat the theft (besides limiting access to bad bots) is to show the search engines that content FIRST... With the search engines it is all about where they found the content FIRST. It does not matter to the SE's who the content really belongs too, all they can do is go by where they found it FIRST. Did you get the point that being firrst to show the content to the SE's is important? ;)

You can contact this guy if you want, but my experience is that it will be a waste of your time. Your article is most likely already on dozens maybe even hundreds of pages already.

Oh I forgot to mention that if it really important to you to get this content removed from the search engines you can go to te SE's and file a DCMA to get the copied content out the SE's index.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

Last edited:

ukpoker

Reaction score
Thanks

As far as showing SE first, this content has been on my site for weeks and the page has been indexed by google. The copied version was posted 3 days ago.

Checking copyscape it does not appear my pages have been copied anywhere else and shows not to be on any other site (as far is it knows).

Is there a WP plugin that can limit bots for this you know off?

Thanks

Scot

Aussie-Dave

Former AGD Member
Reaction score
Is there a WP plugin that can limit bots for this you know off?

No WP plugin I know of. However I use:
Blog Protector. | PcDrome

It wont stop bots but it does make it hard for someone to simply copy it from your page. Believe it or not people still use this process.

I'd also suggest making your image files hotlink protected.

I uses a.htaccess to not only stop known bots from accessing my site but I also IP block out known scrapping and blog spam Countries.

Can't stop all of it but you can make it a lot hard to get & generally that's enough to make them move along and leave you alone.

You should also only use text excepts in your RSS feeds. Not the full story. Using the full story makes it baby play to crap your site blog content.

Cheers

:)

Dave

ukpoker

Reaction score

lots0

Reaction score
Thanks

As far as showing SE first, this content has been on my site for weeks and the page has been indexed by google. The copied version was posted 3 days ago.

Checking copyscape it does not appear my pages have been copied anywhere else and shows not to be on any other site (as far is it knows).

Real visitors are not going to see copyscape, search for unique phrases of your article in google/bing, use "" and search for entire sentences. Chances are, if google found your article first, the copies will not rank or come up for specific searches.

You only really run into trouble, when other sites are out ranking you for unique phrases in your article....

Last edited:

ukpoker

Reaction score
Ok, So I have spoken to the owner of the site.

We have sorted the issue and it was not him directly, he has pointed my to where the issue lies and I will be sorting that out now.

Once sorted I will let you guys know what's what as its not the done thing.

It is related to a previous post I made and lets just say the trial period did not bode well after this.......

Watch this space.....

Vladi

Reaction score
The most simple explanation is that your article guy is probably reselling your articles.

Nicky

Reaction score
statement

so guys..
as owner of the above mentioned site i would like to contribute to this thread.
as already discussed with Scot, content was not stolen or copied.

but as he already mentioned, he will bring light into the dark.
anyway, review is already removed.

wish you a nice day

cheers
Nicky

Rhondagrace

gotaslotonmymind
Reaction score
add there India as well. :)

but if not joking, bots can use any ips and there are plenty of anonymizers ;)

Hi Eugene,

I have blocked china, Russia, India, and many others. iQ Block Country's plug works because these country's have not been able to access my site, and I also have an ip based visitor's map plug in. : )

Last edited:

lots0

Reaction score
I don't usually block entire countries.
What I usually do is block Class B or C IP's when I start getting bad bot visits or hack attempts.

Aussie-Dave

Former AGD Member
Reaction score
I have no qualms in blocking entire Countries on my AU facing sites. Traffic from anywhere else other than New Zealand is of no importance to me.

Hence if I see questionable hits in my stats, I'll look up the IP addy and block another Country if need to be.

lol you should see the size of my htaccess file ;D

Cheers

:)

Dave

Last edited:

footballaffiliate

Reaction score
What I do with hotlinkers and scrapers is not block them but to randomise my content (slightly, so it's still legible, but incorrect), so it f&*ks up their own websites. This way they're automatically geting HTTP200 responses and for a while they might not even know that their scraped content is useless, and hopefully will kill their SEO and Google SERPs at the same time.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
What I do with hotlinkers and scrapers is not block them but to randomise my content (slightly, so it's still legible, but incorrect), so it f&*ks up their own websites. This way they're automatically geting HTTP200 responses and for a while they might not even know that their scraped content is useless, and hopefully will kill their SEO and Google SERPs at the same time.

How do you actually safe gaurd something like that. I mean, unless you can determine with 100% accurancy it's a scrapper etc, then I could see this having a fallover effect, which, could backfire and cause you to lose ranking. I believe Google would see this as cloaking...just sayin

LandofOz

Reaction score
Although most of the hacker traffic comes from China, Russia, and Ukraine, I would caution against blocking out an entire country. One of my biggest high rollers is a player from Russia.