Spam User Signups at AGD and elsewhere

Daera

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Make sure you test the registration process afterwards and the confirmation link in the email Daera - its been a while since I used it :)

I added the following code to my registration.php. Unless I forgot how to count, the number of characters in my domain is also 25.

<?php
//Check its a link from within the site (stop direct bots)
if (substr($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'],0,25) != "http://www.hpgambling.com") {
//Now check its not a click from an activation email
if ($_GET['a'] != "act" && $_GET['a'] != "ver") {
echo "<html><head><title>Register</title><META NAME=\"ROBOTS\" CONTENT=\"NOINDEX\"></head><body></body></html>";
exit;
}
}

//Check standard fields for "123456" string (spammers use it)
foreach ($_POST as $p) {
if (strpos($p,"123456") !== false) {
exit;
}
}

//Check userfields for "123456" string (spammers use it)
foreach ($_POST['userfield'] as $key => $p) {
if (strpos($p,"123456") !== false) {
exit;
}
}

After uploading the changed script, I clicked on our register link and got the following error.

register_link_error.png

So I just put the original register link back. It was worth a try though.

The isbot mod is working fairly well. Yesterday, I ended up with over 100 BLOCKED registrations from isbot, with only about 2-3 spam bots that were able to register. So that's not too bad.

triple777s

Reaction score
Were getting hit now over at Gambling Affiliate Place....had so many signups i got excited until i saw all the "suspicious" usernames and ips.....so i may have to read through this entire thread now to figure out how to stop the "madness"! lol

THanks for the good read.

pat

Simmo!

Reaction score
I added the following code to my registration.php. Unless I forgot how to count, the number of characters in my domain is also 25.

After uploading the changed script, I clicked on our register link and got the following error.

register_link_error.png

Ah ok - you should just remove the two sectins that relate to 123456 then Daera. The first (and main) bit seems OK.

Cheers

Simmo!

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score

Vladi

Reaction score
This one is controversial and won't suit everyone's site (and we don't run vBulletin), but it has proved effective in blocking 99% of human spam on our sites: if possible make your site read only (or block completely) to visitors from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nigeria (and wherever else you are receiving a problem from that does not supply you with revenue earning traffic).

We were getting multiple spammer registrations a day, bogus threads and posts, all coming from 2-bit "SEO" companies. But since making the site read only (they can read anything on site but are blocked from registering for an account or logging in) for these countries a few months ago, our spam problem is almost zero.