Securing Wordpress

RyanWeb

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Looks like I hit about 16 out of the 20 :)

Super good article for anyone new(er) to wordpress.. And even to remind us older users who get a little lazy when it comes to security - (and mainly) backups..

LandofOz

Reaction score
This is without a doubt, the best article that I've read on WP security :)

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Same here. It is fairly comprehensive.

ARZ

Reaction score
Thank you for this article, I am currently facing a brute force attacks on one of my sites, so it came very helpful ;)

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
I tell everyone to get themselves a static IP from their ISP (internet service provider). Might be free or cost a few bucks a month.

Add a htaccess to the /wp-admin/ EG - deny from all, allow from (the static IP) only.
Even if your login creds are comprimised by a brute force hack, they wont gain access to your Admin area, without accessing that folder, from that IP ;)

Plus, I'm not a fan of using too many plugins. Especially not for site security, when the majority of these fixes can be implimented and secured with your htaccess file.
More plugins, more chances one will contain insecured code and such.

There's a complete list of tips and tricks, I wrote here (AGD) to secure and harden your WP site. I think it could be in the private (non indexed forums). Wrote it when those scum bag hackers were cracking 100's of thousands of sites back in 2014/15. That stuff I added, is reduntant proof ;)

If there were enough people wanting help, I'd write an updated harden-your-wp-site guide.

Last edited:

Rick Perry

AGD Member Ltd
Reaction score
Really useful article about WP security, giving a like ;-)

Return To Player

Reaction score
You also have the iThemes plugin which does a lot of this is a simple dashboard AND isn't too heavy on resource.