Purchased vBulletin 4.* - Pretty URL?

Aussie-Dave

Former AGD Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Everyone raves that vBulletin is the only forum software to use. Considering who uses it, I have to accept that it is.

I purchased it today.

Installation was a breeze, however I've hit a brick wall.

I want to use Mod Rewrite Friendly URLs, however I can't find the .htaccess file or if it doesn't have one, do I just add a .htaccess file and make it writable?

Anyway help is appreciate.

Cheers

:)

Dave

Webzcas

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
There are many mods over on vbulletin.org that do this, but it is a pain to be honest and not as straightforward as the WP mods for url rewrites.

Your best bet is to spend a few bucks and buy VBSEO. It is well worth it and straightforward to setup. :)

Aussie-Dave

Former AGD Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

As an update I purchased a theme and got installed.
Getting vBSEO sometime this week.

However I'm blown away by the sheer number of options and functionality of the vB forum script. It's to the point of being overwhelming.

I had to extend my opening time just to make sure I get everything added and modded. Still I'm very impressed. Though not too impressed with the .com support forum. And no to happy about the vB link not opening in a new window.

I don't mind displaying a link and copyright but if I can't add the _blank to the link then I'll be forced to fork out another $170 to remove the copyright.

That's really my only two disappointments.

Cheers

Dave

NDN

Reaction score
I don't mind displaying a link and copyright but if I can't add the _blank to the link then I'll be forced to fork out another $170 to remove the copyright.

You don't actually need to keep the link at all. You can remove the link, but you do need to keep the copyright text (unless of course you pay the extra money to have it non-branded).

See this post:
Is the footer link to vbulletin.com final?

Just make the change to your footer template and you're all set.

Eugene

Reaction score
you can rewrite manually all links, but it is done via apache mod rewrite as I remember:eek:

Aussie-Dave

Former AGD Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought vBSEO tonight and have it up and running. As Webzcas suggested it's much easier and far less hassle.

In so far as the vB link, I found that in search feature and sorted that out too. Now just waiting for my custom theme to be built and by that time I should have the forum set-up and ready to go.

Thanks everyone for your input, help and suggestions!

Cheers

Dave

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
this forum is vbulletin

Grem, quit posting for a signature link or I will remove it. You last posts were all ridiculous and only serve as linkbait. It's annoying and NOT useful at all to the membership here at AGD.