Publish and rank posts but hide from front page?

danniee

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is it possible to hide posts in wordpress?

Last edited:

Frank

Reaction score
no, if using wordpress just make sure only tagged pages are linked to show on the front page.. or setup a static page which you choose which categories to show

danniee

Reaction score
no, if using wordpress just make sure only tagged pages are linked to show on the front page.. or setup a static page which you choose which categories to show

How to do that though? I think I will need some sort of plugin like WP Hide Post? Also, how to get it indexed if it's hidden from the front page? Or will it still happen by some other means?

petjah

Reaction score
Just publish a post and don't attach it to a category. You can make one or multiple internal links to get to post indexed or you just put a link to your sitemap in your footer.

With a sitemap Google knows all your published pages/posts/cpt's/categories/tags/etc (you can set this up) even if this post is not visible on your homepage or other pages. You can use Yoast, all in one SEO or a different WP plugin to set up your sitemap.

petjah

Reaction score
Oh and don't forget to add your sitemap in your Google Search Console

danniee

Reaction score
Just publish a post and don't attach it to a category. You can make one or multiple internal links to get to post indexed or you just put a link to your sitemap in your footer.

With a sitemap Google knows all your published pages/posts/cpt's/categories/tags/etc (you can set this up) even if this post is not visible on your homepage or other pages. You can use Yoast, all in one SEO or a different WP plugin to set up your sitemap.

Hi and thanks for the input!

If I publish a post without category it still turns up on the front page. Also, I have noticed that POSTS turn up in the sitemap index but not PAGES*

*I just noticed I have two sitemaps. Didnt know Yoast generated one too so deactivated the other sitemap plugin. Seems like both POSTS and PAGES are included in the sitemap :)

Last edited:

NDG

Reaction score
If you don't want some of your posts to show up on the homepage, then the easiest
solution is to use a plugin that excludes posts or excludes categories from the homepage.

Also, you can edit the query_posts within the index page of the theme and make it
so that the homepage will only display certain posts or posts from certain categories.

If you don't have working knowledge of how to edit the theme, then the best advice
is to find a plugin that will do it for you. There are free plugins that can easily do it.

the_dave

Reaction score
Why don't you just publish it and, assuming you're adding content, it'll get pushed off the first page pretty quickly no?

ChipLove88

Reaction score
Why do you want such a page? I think it will be not good and it's difficult for the page to rank well in GG.

RyanWeb

Reaction score
Not linked to the front page at all? Not even through sitemap or just not displayed from the front page?

You said you want it to rank, so I assume you just dont want it displayed on the front page? You can always make it a page instead of a post, and simply not link to it (Post Type Switcher works well for converting already published content). If you want it also hidden from sitemap, you can always drop a basic html page into your WP directory?

eton

Reaction score
There are many tutorials you can check like www .wpbeginner .com/plugins/how-to-hide-a-post-from-home-page-in-wordpress/